rock solid "thru the wall" hose connectors for DIY filters

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
this is just one way to plumb thru the wall of DIY filters, Waterfall boxes.etc.. leaving a clean hose adaptor connection on filter wall. rock solid and water tight.
ok. i am using a piece of 1/2" HDPE for the demo. its the same material and basic thickness as a stocktank.
you'll need these few things.
*a threaded hose adaptor for the size hose you'll be using
*a PVC pipe end cap with threaded hole (matched to accept your filters piping and your hose adaptor)
* a hole saw for your drill
*a grinding bit for your drill or dremel tool.
PTDC0005.JPG

you'll want a hole saw the size of the threaded end of the hose adaptor, you want it smaller than the threads size, but just bigger than its inside diameter.
PTDC0003.JPG

drill thru the wall of the stocktank,
PTDC0001 (2).JPG

then your going to slowly enlarge the hole, just slightly.(take your time,keeping it nicely round) i use a grinding bit in my drill motor. but you just want to get it where you can tell its about ready to allow the hose adaptor to screw in. i then use a heat gun to soften the wall material, just slightly and thread the adaptor thru. it should be difficult to turn thru. i had to use channel locks to turn mine in after just a couple turns.. the softened plastic of the wall will actually have 'threading' created in it. once youve done this let it cool for a few minutes
you cant really see them well in the picture, but there is threads in the hole. this means the hose adaptor will be threaded into both the wall and the end cap.
PTDC0006 (2).JPG

then screw on the PVC end cap to make sure everything screws together so the cap sits tight and flush to the wall. if it doesnt a few seconds of heat from the heat will allow it to.
PTDC0007.JPG
once everything proves solid, back out the hose adaptor and apply a touch of vaseline to the threads and scew it back thru, put a ring of silicone on the end cap to create a seal to the container wall, and/or cut a gasket or two out of some liner scrap if youve got it. the vaseline will seal the threads and allow you to replace the hose adaptor easier should the need arise. because the silicone wont "glue" the theads.
***not neccessary but, you can also drill and screw a couple small size screws,maybe 3/4" long, thru the wall into the end cap. just a alittle more asssurance of a rock solid mounting. it will help keep the encap solid if you remove the hose adaptor for any reason.
I DO HOPE MY INSTRUCTIONS ARE EASY ENOUGH TO FOLLOW...sorry for the poor quality photos.

Ask a Question