Rocks in the bottom of a pond

Reaction score
Rocks on the pond floor look nice when you first put in a pond, however
if it's a large pond it soon could becomes mucky and polluted.
I see what we hose out of our shallow beach area that is rocked and it's awful,
We do it every two weeks or so. We also reach in and turn all the big rocks,
after we hose them ..This is not easly done in a large pond.

jethro13

jethro13
Reaction score
cauzeneffeckt said:
Id be interested in seeing someone that's dead set on putting rocks put the air hoses under the rocks, if done regularly I think this would be the way to have rocks and none of the crud.... Any takers???

I too removed the rock from my pond this year. But I like the idea of the air hoses under the rock. If I did it I would lay the hose in an ''S'' pattern under the rock across the bottom of the hole pond. The thing I would change would be the air supply. I would go to the auto parts store and get the fitting to attach my air compressor periodically and blow the rocks out,This way you could regulate the amount of air you use. If I insisted on having rocks in the bottom of my pond and was starting a new pond I wound be tempted to try it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
fish said:
This is my third year with a pond. The first two years I had river rocks in the bottom of the pond. I tried keeping the rocks clean so they could be seen by using a shop vac. That was a lot of work and it wasn't successful. I do have big bolders on the sides but no small rocks. This Spring when I cleaned the pond I took the river rocks out. Now the bottom is the color of algae and it looks natural. I have a ton of rocks if anyone wants them.

I live in Frederick, would love to get some of your rocks!

Koilady

Water Garden Consultant
Reaction score
I agree with the concept of not having rocks/stones/gravel of any kind at the bottom of the pond because as someone suggested, in time these rocks will collect debris between the cracks and normally in the second or third year, people who do have stones or rocks at the bottom of the pond find that their fish are either gasping at the top of the pond, or scraping themselves along the sides due to the high ammonia content or lie on their sides at the bottom of the pond or end up with ulcers. Especially if water changes aren't made.

It seems that the slime or sludge covers any good bacteria that was collecting on the rocks to help filter the pond and this sludge then starves the good bacteria of oxygen and it starts to die and then emits carbon dioxide into the pond.

Your's Koily, Lorraine

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
If you can see rocks in the bottom of you pond, its not deep enough! LOL

Jk.:regular_waving_emot

Skip the rock. it is bad.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
2010 post lol, I did get some of his rocks (fish) they really helped with my build, his pond and stream are beautiful

Koilady

Water Garden Consultant
Reaction score
LOL I agree Koidaddy. I like my ponds at least 4 feet deep.

Your's Koily, Lorraine

Reaction score
CliffandJoann said:
Rocks on the pond floor look nice when you first put in a pond, however
if it's a large pond it soon could becomes mucky and polluted.
I see what we hose out of our shallow beach area that is rocked and it's awful,
We do it every two weeks or so. We also reach in and turn all the big rocks,
after we hose them ..This is not easly done in a large pond.

What if you just had way more bio filtration than you needed? Perhaps that would keep the rocks clean enough without all the work? Cause the bacteria eat the sludge and stuff... maybe?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Rocks on the bottom collect debris in them the only way to prevent it is a lot of current blowing through the rocks. I've never seen a system set up that had enough current to keep the rocks cleaned but if designed correctly it could be done, far easier to just not use them and let the bottom form it's own natural look.

Reaction score
i have a ~ 2000 gal pond and when i did rsearch prior to making the pond i found lot of people wanted the bootom covered with smooth stones so it will protect the liner from direct sunlight.....;):scratchchin: I have not had any issues with water parameters or the fish health. Tank water is clear and i like the looks of it. I guess i am leaving it as it is... i dont want to break my back taking the stones out.....unless i have to:nananananana:

Have some photos of my pond in another thread. Will try and post more later today showing th bottom of my pond

Good to know i have some supporters here who like stones on the base of the pond :lol:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Using PVC liners this was the thought for many years, but in fact, the UV rays don't penetrate more than a few inches down. More and more people found out that it caused more problems than good. I've seen ponds that had them and ran fine for a couple of years before issues started arising. One of the local dealers believes that is the correct way to set up a pond to this day. I watch him yearly have to drain the pond and clean all the muck out of the rocks but he won't remove them out either. I wish I could take mine out, I've tried a couple of times but as soon as a hard rain comes in it's apparent I need them for the reason I have them in the first place.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Rocks in the bottom is each persons choice, I had them in other ponds, none in this one, too much work keeping them clean.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. I am in the same predicament with my mom's pond. I just posted a question as to rather or not to even have in the pond. Her pond has 4 tiers, all with rocks on top of concrete bottom. However, the bottom, largest, with circulating system, is always murky, where as the others are crystal clear. The rocks in bottom are about 4" in depth and are miscellaneous sizes. So, if she wants to leave the rocks, what is the best way to clean this area?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I watched a video by The Pond Digger on YouTube -- not sure of the title, but it was a how-to on annual clean-out. He pumped out enough water to fill a large holding tank and he moved the fish into it. After pumping out most of the water, he just used a garden hose to spray most of the gunk off the rocks (not all -- he discussed leaving a healthy biofilm.) The pond had a slightly inclined bottom, which I think might be a key for easier cleaning. All the gross gunk and poo got hosed down to the lowest end, and was then pumped out. It didn't look too awful.

I am going to rock my pond. I'm planning on a few plain ol' goldfish, which I think make less waste than koi, from what I understand. I'm just going to have a thin layer of egg rock on the bottom -- not too much. I don't plan to feed them, once the pond is established. I'm hoping that all this together will help minimize excess gunk. I know there will be some.

I just really like the look of a rocked pond.

Ask a Question