Rocks rise out of my pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
So.... My house came with a pond which the previous owner who thought it was a great dog pond :banghead3::pooh:

He built it and it had two rock protrusions which he encompassed into the pond. We hated the black vinyl, and quite by accident I discovered "Rock-on-a-roll" VERY COOL!!!!:coolgleema: Add a few rocks and you may never know what lies beneath!

So far, I have no complaints. I would love to redo the entire water flow between the two ponds with this stuff. Maybe next year :grumble:

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
I like the idea for the top edge perhaps... but worry that it would be hard to clean if need be. Expensive too... and will just get covered with algae and unrecognizable.

I would not mind some for the top edge of the pond though. It is a neat idea. I liked the pic where they used it as a faux wall on the house/wall too!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
On the first picture, it is the rock to the right and on the second picture it is to the left. The rock was quite large and $40.00 bucks of the stuff covered it and was super easy. If I had to stone it it would have been a lot of work and a lot of $$$.

Attachments

• Pond2.jpg
    Pond2.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 356
  • fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 353
Reaction score
I'm confused. Are you saying that your picture is showing fake rocks that are actualy just pictures on some sort of liner? They all look real to me. I can't see them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Here is a zoom in of the rock in question.

Attachments

• Cropped rock.jpg
    Cropped rock.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 297
  • Rock 2.jpg
    Rock 2.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 363

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
The plastic was OVER the rock? So you had a big black plastic coated protrusion?

If THAT was the case... that stuff really IS good! I definiately like it!

You should have taken a "before" shot... coulda made money on it if what I am imagining was what you started with!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Robyn said:
The plastic was OVER the rock? So you had a big black plastic coated protrusion?

If THAT was the case... that stuff really IS good! I definiately like it!

You should have taken a "before" shot... coulda made money on it if what I am imagining was what you started with!

Robyn,

We were not as fortunate to inherit a beautiful pond like you did with your new home- of course I also did not have to deal with the ants/bees/itching butt... :bowdown: (your story had me in stitches)

The pond was simply a pool for the guys dogs that he chlorinated and had a pool filter on. No stone bottom, no plants, no landscaping. Just two big black rubber protrusions. Maybe I should send the rock on a roll company a picture- maybe they would send me some profit sharing from the increase in sales LOL!!!

In just two short months I did all the land/pondscaping and have a very long way to go.

Good luck with your new home and pond. Ponds are like potato chips I fear...

Attachments

• pond sized.jpg
    pond sized.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 267

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
Black protrutions... that is what I thought! WOW!
That really DOES look good!

As for my "beautiful" pond. I have to say it photographs well.

It is not just overgrown. It is overstocked and has some truly ugly large fish. Plain muddy brown colored. Just what do you do with a bunch of really ugly koi that are over 18 inches long? No one wants them. You cannot just euthanize them easily. Someone suggested a kosher deli! LOL

And the water is green... and getting greener. At 13,000 gallons... that is a BIG mess. I cannot afford a bunch of plants right now (we are really scraping paying double rent for 2 months, the deposit including extra pet amount on the new place, and damages on the old place from when his dog was a puppy). Nor can I afford, nor would I wish to use, chemicals. There is a UV light. But it needs to be installed and is gonna make me the electric company's newest, bestest friend! (It is a Viper 800... or a 400... I have my choice.)

The fish are older and skittish. We are really hoping that they will learn to trust again. Not as much fun as raising the little guys and getting to know them either.

Did I mention the copperhead? Almost 3 foot long. No clue where he is hiding as we did not design pond and know its nooks and crannies, and the vegetation is WAY overgrown. Ever try to happily cut back vegetation knowing that somewhere there is a rather poisonous snake that quite frankly is NOT scared of you? Fun.

Quite frankly... I would trade ponds with you at this point if I could.

Sorry to sound so defeatist... but it has been a long week.

Reaction score
Nope!
"Held in place by stones on the bottom and soil on the top."

Wow.
Must WEIGH a lot less than the real stuff, too, eh?
:bowdown:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
The stuff is "aged looking. It feels like a very heavy wallpaper. We cut in half and epoxied per instructions that came with it. Layed down a few "key"stones and voila:banana: no more ugly rubber bump. You can see in the pic the "flat side of the faux rock, but that is the back side of the pond. It did have some dusting in the water, but that didn't last long at all.

I also did not "rock" it down all over, so this has made a great sanctuary for all the newbies swimming around.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
better than that.. i wish i could find it!! i saw a video of pond made with river rock printed right in the liner,all different sized rocks, shadows, crevises, and all. looked very realistic, at least on video!!! i tried to find it for my pond when i built it but couldnt..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Robyn,

I fully understand all your dilemmas with your new found pond. I had a vegetable garden in my old house with a HUGE rotted tree stump that a copperhead felt was his piece of property. He was no sharecropper... :icon_smile:

Our pond was murky and green and loaded with debris in the bottom. Today, my water is crystal clear. We have a re-seller of electricity in our town and just to put it all in perspective- our bill in January was $400.00. Nope did not include gas. Nope we have a gas clothes dryer, oil heat, use energy efficient bulbs. Yeah, we get hosed!

I was also thinking about a UV filter. My husband wanted to try the filter which lies on the bottom of the pond and has the bell shaped water head (Pondmaster). We purchased the largest one they had. It is also expandable, to run several off the same pump. We put that in about 3 weeks ago, he has cleaned it twice. We did a microbial lift and had treated with algeacide. Previously I could not see ANY of our fish unless they were right at the surface. Today, I can see all my fish and the newborns that just keep on coming.

Good luck with it all- this pond stuff is SOOOOO addictive!

Ask a Question