Rocks Rocks Rocks!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by pecan, Mar 28, 2014.

1. pecan

pecan

Hi my name is Liz and I hoard rocks.

That's right, I have a problem. If I see a cool rock, it must come home with me.

I think I am in good company here with others who may have the same disease. :)

We took a trip out to our property a few weeks ago and I came home with some beauties! They are very different from the mostly brittle rocks I have found in the mountains and desert around here. They are very dense and despite their appearance have an almost glass smooth finish.
    DSCN4910.JPG DSCN4909.JPG DSCN4908.JPG DSCN4907.JPG DSCN4906.JPG DSCN4904.JPG

pecan, Mar 28, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. pecan

j.w I Love my Goldies

Oh mama those are some hot looking rocks! I confess I have the same problem and need therapy. I have a bunch right now laying out in our driveway cuz I found a mother load spot to drag them home from and I'm not telling anyone where that is :muted:

j.w, Mar 28, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. pecan

Priscilla

LOL! My husband has the same problem! This really cracks me up!!!!

I will post some pictures of what he calls his quarry. A collection of rocks he's found.

Priscilla, Mar 28, 2014
  4. pecan

JBtheExplorer Native Gardener

Those are some very cool rocks! I rarely find cool rocks in the wild, and i've been to some places with great rock formations, but usually the small rocks are pretty dull. I'm also not sure about the laws on it so I don't think I want to risk it.

Same thing when it comes to driftwood. I've seen a ton of cool driftwood along Lake Michigan, but I don't know if its legal to take or considered destroying a habitat

JBtheExplorer, Mar 28, 2014
    HARO likes this.
  5. pecan

pecan

Out here you can get a permit from the DNR to pick up rocks. It's is fifteen dollars for a permit to get up to one ton of rock! They provide a map of where you can get them. Depending on the type you want. You just go out to the area on the map start hunting :)

Just out in the desert or mountains, no actual quary or anything. Just hunting wild rocks.
    These came from our property though.

pecan, Mar 28, 2014
    Mmathis likes this.
  6. pecan

Lisak1

We've scavenged driftwood from Lake Michigan... Even had a ranger help me load a large piece in the back of the car one year!

Lisak1, Mar 28, 2014
    callingcolleen1, HARO and j.w like this.
  7. pecan

Mmathis TurtleMommy

So just WHAT IS this attraction to rocks??? I suffer from the same addiction -- I love rocks!

Mmathis, Mar 28, 2014
  8. pecan

mtpond

Awesome rocks Liz., and yes I love rocks too! Do they have such a thing as rocks anonymous :ROFLMAO: LOL!!!!!!

mtpond, Mar 28, 2014
  9. pecan

mrsclem mrsclem

Same problem here. I cant use them around the ponds as they are above ground but have been eyeing a huge pile in a neighbors yard. Told hubby to get a truck- going to move those to my yard if I can.

mrsclem, Mar 28, 2014
    callingcolleen1 and j.w like this.
  10. pecan

DrCase Moderator Moderator

Hi my name is ron and i have Rockaneedea

DrCase, Mar 28, 2014
    mtpond, callingcolleen1, j.w and 2 others like this.
  11. pecan

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

LOL I am the same way, hauled them in boxes across country!

A friend has a huge pile he wants gone, one of these days he will bring them out to us. We don't have a way to haul them. Not pretty ones like yours pecan, but nice.

addy1, Mar 28, 2014
  12. pecan

taherrmann4 Tmann

I have been picking up rocks whenever we go on vacation and it is practical to bring home. It all started about 15 years ago on our honeymoon to Hawaii, where I brought home a piece of coral rock on the beach, it must weigh around 20lbs. These were the days before your luggage had to weigh 50lbs or less or pay an overage charge. I think this started my pond journey as we lived in a condo at the time and my plan was to make a fountain out of it to put on our deck. I do the same for driftwood now if I see a neat piece I will take it!

taherrmann4, Mar 28, 2014
  13. pecan

pecan

Maybe if everyone takes pictures of their rocks and posts them here for all of us to see it would be some type of good therapy.

Show me your rocks!!! :D

pecan, Mar 28, 2014
  14. pecan

taherrmann4 Tmann

You ask and you shall receive!!

P1060023.JPG
    P1060024.JPG
    P1060025.JPG
    P1060026.JPG
    P1060027.JPG
    P1060028.JPG
    P1060029.JPG
    P1060030.JPG
    P1060031.JPG
    P1060032.JPG
    P1060033.JPG

And my a sample of my driftwood!
    P1060034.JPG

taherrmann4, Mar 28, 2014
  15. pecan

HARO Pondcrastinator

It's an addiction, all right. I have rocks from BC, PEI, and just about everywhere in between. Even a few from Europe and New Zealand! This affliction is in your genes. (No, not like the rocks you put in the pockets of your JEANS.) When my parents bought their first house back in 1960 or so, my dad would take his wheelbarrow around the building sites and collect any rocks he could find. These he used to line both sides of the driveway. Later, when we moved to farm country, he would push that wheelbarrow for miles to find rocks to build retaining walls and rock gardens. His father and grandfather were respected masons in the old country, so I come by my rockaneedea honestly! :LOL:
    John

HARO, Mar 28, 2014
  16. pecan

Sunshine

I love rocks too. Reminds me of the old Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz movie where she picks up a rock at every place they go.

Sunshine, Mar 28, 2014
    Lisaebetten, j.w and Mmathis like this.
  17. pecan

Lisak1

That first one looks like you found someone's petrified brain taherrmann!

We love rocks so much that my husband asked the kids to buy him a specimen rock that we spotted at a local rock place for Father's Day one year!

Lisak1, Mar 28, 2014
  18. pecan

Mmathis TurtleMommy

Can we start one?
    LOVE that movie! We were in Utah last week (ski trip) and I found some small rocks I wanted to bring home, but Hubby said "no -- would tip our weight limit on the plane." :'(
    I have a few special ones, but the trick will be to find them...
    For my birthday this year, I asked for a gift-certificate to our local rock seller (but didn't get it -- oh, well).

Mmathis, Mar 28, 2014
    j.w likes this.
  19. pecan

Mmathis TurtleMommy

I saw the neatest thing once! Some folks had been collecting rocks that resembled pieces of food. And I mean, they LOOKED like little miniature dollhouse props.

All these rocks were on display, set out as table settings, food on plates, you name it! For example, there would be a plate with a slice of roast, mashed potatoes, beans, and a roll. All natural rocks! The only alterations that were made to any of the rocks were maybe to polish/buff them in a few spots, and some [like the "roast"] had been sliced to actually resemble a slice of meat, but otherwise the marbling and texture said "roast!"

Was the most amazing thing! Unfortunately it was a few years before cell phone cameras came out or I would have taken photos.

Mmathis, Mar 28, 2014
  20. pecan

j.w I Love my Goldies

Rocks never get up and walk out of our lives,they are there for us, They are mostly stable and strong, they don't give us any lip. They don't need maintenance, no bad hair days. We can walk on them, carve messages on them,sit on them and kick them and they don't bite back. A rock will silently listen to all your troubles and has none of it's own. Rocks can be used as tools or weapons or build a home, a fence, a path, a fortress, a rock is our friend...................who shouldn't love rocks and I love my rocks to death
    [​IMG]
    Now I gotta go out and take some pics of my rocks if it ever stops raining :)
    This is a fun kid video explaining the 3 types of rocks................we must enlighten the world and bring them into our rock fold. Have I gone over the edge here......................the edge is a rock also so ROCK ON DUDES stone guy.gif

Writing_on_stone.gif

j.w, Mar 28, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question