Rocks Rocks Rocks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi my name is Liz and I hoard rocks.

That's right, I have a problem. If I see a cool rock, it must come home with me.

I think I am in good company here with others who may have the same disease. :)

We took a trip out to our property a few weeks ago and I came home with some beauties! They are very different from the mostly brittle rocks I have found in the mountains and desert around here. They are very dense and despite their appearance have an almost glass smooth finish.
DSCN4910.JPG
DSCN4909.JPG
DSCN4908.JPG
DSCN4907.JPG
DSCN4906.JPG
DSCN4904.JPG

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Those are some very cool rocks! I rarely find cool rocks in the wild, and i've been to some places with great rock formations, but usually the small rocks are pretty dull. I'm also not sure about the laws on it so I don't think I want to risk it.

Same thing when it comes to driftwood. I've seen a ton of cool driftwood along Lake Michigan, but I don't know if its legal to take or considered destroying a habitat

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Those are some very cool rocks! I rarely find cool rocks in the wild, and i've been to some places with great rock formations, but usually the small rocks are pretty dull. I'm also not sure about the laws on it so I don't think I want to risk it.

Same thing when it comes to driftwood. I've seen a ton of cool driftwood along Lake Michigan, but I don't know if its legal to take or considered destroying a habitat

Out here you can get a permit from the DNR to pick up rocks. It's is fifteen dollars for a permit to get up to one ton of rock! They provide a map of where you can get them. Depending on the type you want. You just go out to the area on the map start hunting :)

Just out in the desert or mountains, no actual quary or anything. Just hunting wild rocks.
These came from our property though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):

We've scavenged driftwood from Lake Michigan... Even had a ranger help me load a large piece in the back of the car one year!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Same problem here. I cant use them around the ponds as they are above ground but have been eyeing a huge pile in a neighbors yard. Told hubby to get a truck- going to move those to my yard if I can.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
LOL I am the same way, hauled them in boxes across country!

A friend has a huge pile he wants gone, one of these days he will bring them out to us. We don't have a way to haul them. Not pretty ones like yours pecan, but nice.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have been picking up rocks whenever we go on vacation and it is practical to bring home. It all started about 15 years ago on our honeymoon to Hawaii, where I brought home a piece of coral rock on the beach, it must weigh around 20lbs. These were the days before your luggage had to weigh 50lbs or less or pay an overage charge. I think this started my pond journey as we lived in a condo at the time and my plan was to make a fountain out of it to put on our deck. I do the same for driftwood now if I see a neat piece I will take it!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
It's an addiction, all right. I have rocks from BC, PEI, and just about everywhere in between. Even a few from Europe and New Zealand! This affliction is in your genes. (No, not like the rocks you put in the pockets of your JEANS.) When my parents bought their first house back in 1960 or so, my dad would take his wheelbarrow around the building sites and collect any rocks he could find. These he used to line both sides of the driveway. Later, when we moved to farm country, he would push that wheelbarrow for miles to find rocks to build retaining walls and rock gardens. His father and grandfather were respected masons in the old country, so I come by my rockaneedea honestly! :LOL:
John

Ask a Question