Rocks Rocks Rocks!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Awesome rocks Liz., and yes I love rocks too! Do they have such a thing as rocks anonymous :ROFLMAO: LOL!!!!!!
Can we start one?
I love rocks too. Reminds me of the old Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz movie where she picks up a rock at every place they go.
LOVE that movie! We were in Utah last week (ski trip) and I found some small rocks I wanted to bring home, but Hubby said "no -- would tip our weight limit on the plane." :'(
Maybe if everyone takes pictures of their rocks and posts them here for all of us to see it would be some type of good therapy.

Show me your rocks!!! :D
I have a few special ones, but the trick will be to find them...
That first one looks like you found someone's petrified brain taherrmann!

We love rocks so much that my husband asked the kids to buy him a specimen rock that we spotted at a local rock place for Father's Day one year!
For my birthday this year, I asked for a gift-certificate to our local rock seller (but didn't get it -- oh, well).

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I saw the neatest thing once! Some folks had been collecting rocks that resembled pieces of food. And I mean, they LOOKED like little miniature dollhouse props.

All these rocks were on display, set out as table settings, food on plates, you name it! For example, there would be a plate with a slice of roast, mashed potatoes, beans, and a roll. All natural rocks! The only alterations that were made to any of the rocks were maybe to polish/buff them in a few spots, and some [like the "roast"] had been sliced to actually resemble a slice of meat, but otherwise the marbling and texture said "roast!"

Was the most amazing thing! Unfortunately it was a few years before cell phone cameras came out or I would have taken photos.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Rocks never get up and walk out of our lives,they are there for us, They are mostly stable and strong, they don't give us any lip. They don't need maintenance, no bad hair days. We can walk on them, carve messages on them,sit on them and kick them and they don't bite back. A rock will silently listen to all your troubles and has none of it's own. Rocks can be used as tools or weapons or build a home, a fence, a path, a fortress, a rock is our friend...................who shouldn't love rocks and I love my rocks to death

Now I gotta go out and take some pics of my rocks if it ever stops raining :)
This is a fun kid video explaining the 3 types of rocks................we must enlighten the world and bring them into our rock fold. Have I gone over the edge here......................the edge is a rock also so ROCK ON DUDES
stone guy.gif

Writing_on_stone.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
sweet rocks Tman!

I like the green and blue coloring! we mostly have various shades of beige to orange to red here other than the grey granite. Lots of granite.

Check out this pile of rocks! This was on a very difficult hike on the way up. We passed over this boulder field and I was dying to grab a couple and put in my back pack. But I had a long hike a head of and couldn't do it.
DSCN2708.jpg

And here was some great slate (at least I think it is slate) closer to the top. This canyon was formed by melting glaciers and I had someone tell me those lines are glacial scarring.
DSCN2746.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Awsome rocks and pictures! I have the affliction too!!!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Please Help Me! I confess, I am addicted to Rocks! All three types too JW! That was a very cool video by the way!
I have been dragging rocks home for the last 23 years, and I have a massive amount of rocks now, and I am so addicted I cobbled the pathway around the pond too! Now I want to cobble the front yard and make my on Heavenly Garden here on earth!

But why do we all love rocks so darn much? I think they have energy and the round smooth river stones feel good to rub. Rocks will be here long after I leave, and someday down the road, my house may be gone, my block may be gone, and all that may be left is this strange pattern of rocks that I hand gathered here on earth....
IMAG3216.jpg
IMAG3212.jpg
IMAG3218.jpg
IMAG3536.jpg
IMAG3785.jpg
IMAG3799.jpg
IMAG3814.jpg
IMAG1789.jpg
IMAG2180.jpg
IMAG2410.jpg
IMAG2808.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some of my pond rocks, I bought around 8 tons that got hauled up that hill, sure was in good shape that summer.

The rock planters towards the bottom I hauled from arizona, nicely packed in boxes. My moving friends wanted to know why the boxes were so darn heavy!

Copy of DSC01529.JPG
Copy of DSC01530.JPG
Copy of DSC01531.JPG
DSC00038.JPG
DSC00146.JPG
DSC00147.JPG
DSC00139.JPG
DSC00243.JPG
DSC00241.JPG
DSC00242.JPG

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
There is something earthy about rocks, they are all special and took so long to make. I love all rocks and find a way to work them all in my yard.
Addy, that is indeed a ton of rocks!!! You must have been in really good shape for sure that year!!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Rocks tell a story. I don't have the training to be able to READ them, but I know the stories are good ones...and ancient. Maybe that's the connection we have with our love of rocks. Hmmm..... The history of our planet. Now THAT'S the story!

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
In the event that you need a monster stone, but don't really have any means to move or lift it, there's a variety of stone called "Featherstone". A boulder that looks like it should weigh about 600-700lbs, really weighs about 150lbs. I've used this stuff in situations where I can't get any equipment into the site, but need large stones.

Ask a Question