Rocks Rocks Rocks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
love them! Did you prep the ground under each with sand or gravel first or just lay them in place?
Thanks for the comment. No sand or gravel. I did have to dig each one due to the thickness, some where 12" thick and all shapes underneath the good side. I then used my backhoe on my bobcat to push down so they set correctly. I then put loam around them by hand

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I found a great rock with a natural curve in it. I put it in where my 2nd pump is exiting. The exposed stone is around 18" the entire stone is over 2ft. Love the look of it. The fish are loving it. They can go under too. The tip of it is about 1" above the water. Hard to see in the picture but here it is.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 219

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If you like that look, it's quite easy to copy. A 4 1/2" grinder with a diamond blade will shape almost any flat rock into a trough, and after a while it'll grow a coat of algae and look perfectly natural.
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If you like that look, it's quite easy to copy. A 4 1/2" grinder with a diamond blade will shape almost any flat rock into a trough, and after a while it'll grow a coat of algae and look perfectly natural.
John
That would work but to smooth IMHO. You could also make long cuts with a masonry blade on a skill saw the snap the cuts with a hammer and chisel. This will leave a much rougher natural looking stone. Our just fine one that Mother Nature did all the work, much less dust. ;)

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
You would be surprised at all the different effects you can produce with a grinder. Since it is hand-held, it can cut anything from a very narrow groove to a quite wide one, or if held flat, it can flatten an area of the rock so that it sits better in a given spot. But you are right, nature's creation is best, if it fits the purpose!
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You would be surprised at all the different effects you can produce with a grinder. Since it is hand-held, it can cut anything from a very narrow groove to a quite wide one, or if held flat, it can flatten an area of the rock so that it sits better in a given spot. But you are right, nature's creation is best, if it fits the purpose!
John
Grinders are great for outside radius also. I use it a lot on bluestone. In case some of you do not know, with bluestone you can cut the edge smooth with a saw and then do what is called flaming. You take a torch and wet the stone and heat the stone and it pops causing a rougher surface. If gives it a nice finish. Gloves and eye protection is a must. The pieces go everywhere.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We used a grinder on a rock that we used for a water feature to get the water to go where we wanted. And when we cut the slate to go around the pond, we used it to smooth the edges a little. Me and the grand kids sit there, didn't want them to get scratches or cuts.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I just remembered that you are a stonemason by trade, so I guess YOU wouldn't be surprised!
You would be surprised at all the different effects you can produce with a grinder.
John
But for most of the forum members, stonework is a fairly new undertaking. My previous post was intended more for them.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Pecan your rocks are so colorful and have so much character. Nothing like that here.

RobAmy love that curved rock and your walkway, awesome.

Ask a Question