Rocks, yes or no?

Reaction score
Country
United States
img20160612_223751.jpg
img20160612_223751.jpg HellIo again. The pond I have been asking questions about has a concrete bottom, which is covered by different size rocks.
My question is, would the rocks cause more of a murky look, since the pond hasn't had a thorough cleaning, and should the rocks be removed? And, if it is only murky because of circulating water stirring up dirt, what is the easiest way to clean the pond, without removing the fish?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
not in a pressurized filter but in a crate in your waterfall area maybe set up with a small cheap pump that the hose goes into the crate

Attachments

• 100_8741.JPG
    100_8741.JPG
    251 KB · Views: 165
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
I always recommend no rocks on the bottom of a pond. My experience has always been they collect lots of muck and it's nearly impossible to clean the pond with them on the bottom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I originally had gravel on the bottom of my pond. I liked the way it looked, but over time, my water lilies jumped their pots and ran rampant in the gravel. Eventually I made the decision to remove the gravel and was surprised how much muck had accumulated in it.

I miss the look of the gravel, but it's easier to keep my pond clean, without them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Currently the water gets circulated from the bottom of the pond, by a submersible pump, which goes up through pressurized filter, then returns to bottom area opposite side. When the waterfall is turned on, this water is pulled from bottom drain and through same filter after going through an external 120gpm pump with basket. Where would this basket of media be?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My guess is no. There is an external pump (120gpm Pentair (?)), which has a basket filter, and the pressurized filter with UV(Pondmaster) . If you are referring to a "Skimmer", I haven't seen one of these either.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
My guess is no. There is an external pump (120gpm Pentair (?)), which has a basket filter, and the pressurized filter with UV(Pondmaster) . If you are referring to a "Skimmer", I haven't seen one of these either.

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure the Pondmaster pressurized filter counts as independent mechanical filtration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
View attachment 95347 View attachment 95347 HellIo again. The pond I have been asking questions about has a concrete bottom, which is covered by different size rocks.
My question is, would the rocks cause more of a murky look, since the pond hasn't had a thorough cleaning, and should the rocks be removed? And, if it is only murky because of circulating water stirring up dirt, what is the easiest way to clean the pond, without removing the fish?
I dont think there is any connection of rocks with murky water ,theoriticaly rocks should break the current and let the debris settle instead of leting dirt particles swim arround to create murky water , its my thinking as the shape of pond helps it by deeper shelves .

yes its because of stiring (you seem to have strong water fall )and lack of mechanical filter , i would say in deeper water , large or medium sized rocks are ok but no gravel , use gravel or smaller sized only in shalow parts . rocks are usefull for good bacteria .

you can add sponges to catch fine dirt and clean it frequently.
cleaning has no shortcuts i think , you dont need to clean 100% , just reduce some muck from bottom to half even that will improve visiblity yearly or in 6 months. im also looking for a way to clean it lol i asked same question here , people gave nice ideas . https://www.gardenpondforum.com/thr...-cleaning-bottom-of-a-pond.20188/#post-321359

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
your pump is around 7200gph? how many gallons is your pond? it should cycle once in 2 or 1 hour .

do u think this can be reason that the circulation is too strong and pump at the bottom isnt letting particles settle ? did you try to raise pump higher 1 feet from bottom on any rock , usualy ponds are made in steps so the particles settle at deepest part .

Reaction score
Country
United States
A rough guess would be 3000. This is a 3 to 4 tier waterfall pond, with the main bottom area about 12x10. The water level at highest area is around 4-5' above lowest level.
This external pump runs the waterfall, and is used 3 hours a day, 3-4 times a week.
This pump draws water from a bottom drain located in center of main area.
There is another submersible pump in this same area that constantly runs, to circulate only the water in bottom area.

Ask a Question