Rocks?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
This is my last question for today.
I talked about this a little in my Introduction but I wanna go in depth.
Where do I find the rocks that I need in the first place? do I get them from a random river or is it illegal?
there's this beach I know and there's so many nice round rocks but I think that's illegal cause its a public beach. :ROFLMAO:
I want to have flat rocks on the outside like slate and maybe round rocks in the pond itself would that be good? what do you guys think? Cause buying the rocks can be too expensive. Thanks! :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I got mine from a concrete company that sold rocks. They were less then $10. a pick up load and they had a wash station there where you drove your truck up to and hosed all the rocks off right there. They gave us hard hats and we were able to hand pick the ones we wanted. Other rocks I find when I'm out walking or traveling. Pack them up in my car and home they come w/me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes TB........ it is illegal to go to a public park, beech, etc and pick the flowers, take home piles of rocks etc Now if you are a person with your two front teeth missing and you have the rocks in your pocket for days because your 6 years old they may over look it. A sand a gravel Pit would be a good place to start if you try the grocery store or Walmart you'll pay a fortune. flat rock is probably going to have to come from home depots or landscape company.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I got mine from a concrete company that sold rocks. They were less then $10. a pick up load and they had a wash station there where you drove your truck up to and hosed all the rocks off right there. They gave us hard hats and we were able to hand pick the ones we wanted. Other rocks I find when I'm out walking or traveling. Pack them up in my car and home they come w/me.
dang jw. you got pickup full of rock for 10 bucks you did better then I.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes depending on the type and size of rocks you need there a many sellers that sell rocks (quarries) also look on Facebook or your local buy sell free type sites we have picked up all our rocks except the pea gravel for free. The pea gravel was 44.00 for a truck bed full.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
dang jw. you got pickup full of rock for 10 bucks you did better then I.

This was way back in 2004 or so. Could cost more now of course but still I can't believe it would be very much. I just looked it up online and it appears they no longer sell decorative river rock or any other kind. Glad I got mine way back when.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This was way back in 2004 or so. Could cost more now of course but still I can't believe it would be very much. I just looked it up online and it appears they no longer sell decorative river rock or any other kind. Glad I got mine way back when.
3/4 native river rock here is 70 a ton

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sorry, but I can’t give advice here. Where I live, we don’t have rocks in nature — we have to buy ours. Seriously!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have bought them, picked up in river beds, along sides of roads, farmers fields, they pile them up out of the fields they plow.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have bought them, picked up in river beds, along sides of roads, farmers fields, they pile them up out of the fields they plow.
Addy, I am so jealous! Our landscape is basically flat, alluvial soil, and well, lots of clay. There are “natural” rocks further north (Arkansas), but I don’t think it’s legal to collect them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This is my last question for today.
I talked about this a little in my Introduction but I wanna go in depth.
Where do I find the rocks that I need in the first place? do I get them from a random river or is it illegal?
there's this beach I know and there's so many nice round rocks but I think that's illegal cause its a public beach. :ROFLMAO:
I want to have flat rocks on the outside like slate and maybe round rocks in the pond itself would that be good? what do you guys think? Cause buying the rocks can be too expensive. Thanks! :)
I’m in Maryland currently a pallet is going for $155.00-$200.00 it’s the delivery that will kill you. Some places are selling by the pound the places around me average 20 cents a pound. Years ago when my parents built their pond they got all the could carry from someone clearing a field

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I looked on a quarry site not far from here and found this pricing for this type of rock but wonder why no one sells the round river rock here anymore:

Quarry Rock – Small, One and Two Man

Price: small $29.45 Ton One man $29.45 Two man $36.75

ROCK SIZES 1 MAN 50-200 LBS 12-18″ 2 MAN 200-700 LBS 18-28″

SMALL ONE MAN QUARRYUP ROCK TO 12″
ONE MAN QUARRY ROCK 12″ – 18″
TWO MAN QUARRY ROCK18″ – 28″

Ask a Question