Rocks?

Reaction score
I was just in the local pet/pond store yesterday and saw that they were selling rocks for your pond. Now, these weren't any special type of rocks, just rocks - for about $7-$16 dollars each.

I understand that not everyone has rocks in their yard, but is there something I don't know? Are there some rocks you should NOT put in your pond?

Reaction score
I had assumed the type of rocks that would go into a pond would be big, smooth river rocks. Of course, it would kind of depend where you live I guess and the geography.

Reaction score
Don't feel bad. I've seen them selling all sorts of insane things for just as crazy prices. Like the passion flower. We cut them down like any other weed (and we have lots and lots of them) but they were potted and for sale at a mindboggling $25.

Hey, if people will buy it, why not sell it I guess.

Reaction score
Well, the passion flower is pretty at least. They don't grow wild around here and I've seen them for sale.

But rocks?

Reaction score
I get my rocks from the local river. They are free and I can pick the shape and size I want. It is work but worth it.

Reaction score
I got mine from the river around the corner too. They charge ridiculous prices for some stuff.

Reaction score
I would think that you could use whatever rocks float your boat. (no pun intended there...lol) You can score rocks from pretty much anywhere, just make sure that you aren't changing the local scenery too much.

Reaction score
We're not allowed to take rocks from the river here, people have been fined quite a bit. We find washes that are dried up for the moment and find nicely shaped rocks. The flash floods really expose a lot along the banks.

Reaction score
I don't have any rocks in my pond. It makes it much easier to clean out the bottom of all the scum it's collected over the season.

Reaction score
The cost of rocks from a Pet store is very expensive. I have 4 tons of different shaped rocks in my pond which cost me $300 plus 50 to deliver (I did the back breaking task with all my children watching of placing each one and using waterfall foam to stack.) I've enjoyed having the rocks in my pond and believe the fish do as well...when the butterfly koi were smaller they would hide in the underwater caves.

In the way of what rocks not to be used: We have 2 types of rocks to really choose from: Igneous and Sedimentary. Sedimentary rocks will disolve quicker than Igneous rocks. A common form of Sedimentary rock is limestone and will run havoc on your pH (drops it to the more acidic range) and can make your water hard. Igneous rocks weather much better, but can still introduce (at small levels) magnesium, calcium, sodium and potassium. Make sure when introducing rocks into your pond or watergarden that you know what the rock is and do a bit of research. Round river rock is a great choice and the characteristics are very pond friendly. I have tons of this stuff and it hasn't effected my pH.

btw, check a local rock quarry for bulk pricing...even if not buying bulk, you will save quite a bit. Also, I've seen people sell excess after finishing landscaping and you can buy cheap as well...

Hope this helps.

Tom

Reaction score
You should avoid using stones that change your pH level. Sea shells add calcium and can buffer wide pH swings. If you use drift wood be sure to cover it with boiling water until it's clean. If you are unsure about a rock altering your pH drop straight vinegar on it, if it bubbles don't use it. I took all the rock out years ago. Here is a great link on the cons of using rocks. URL="http://watergarden.com/pages/gravel&rock.html"]http://watergarden.com/pages/gravel&rock.html[/URL]
Happy ponding, Gail

Ask a Question