roots in water plants

Reaction score
I have a new stream/pond system and I want to place plants along the stream edge with the plant roots in the dirt/sand/pebbles saturated with water.

My goal is to have the roots of the plants suck up the fish waste as nutrients and eliminate algae from the pond water.

Any suggestions on plants that love to have their roots in water all of the time?

Thanks

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
parrots feather, alot of marginal plants can go bare root, if the water is deep enough in the steam even some oxygenators can be tucked in the pebbles in the center of stream... parrots feather will grow even in waterfalls

Reaction score
Water Celery is another good plant for this. Tuck their roots into the rocks or sand and let them go. I believe it is best to start the celery at a young age this way so if you get a potted one start the young shoots in the rocks and sand and they will take off. They are good filtering plants.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Here is what I have. This is Parrots Feather mixed in with another water plant. Can anyone identify this?

Attachments

• Parrots Feather and more.jpg
    Parrots Feather and more.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 329

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I don't recall seeing flowers. I have had them for a year and they look and grow realy great.
I think they might be something else, thanks for looking.
Maybe I can get a better picture.

Reaction score
well reading the discription on the water hyssop which is the second plant down on the link i provided, i'm pretty sure thats what you have there.

Reaction score
I have put water hyncth and water lettuce into my stream to act as a biological filter. The only problem I had is in the fall when cleaning it out for the winter the roots grow into the rocks and when pulling it out it upsets all of the rocks making a mess.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Some things you have to live with. Mine grow so well in the stream area that it backs up my upper pond till it overflows. That emptys the lower pond. I also have a mess after removal, but it only takes an hour or so for everything to clear up.

Reaction score
The potted plants get cut back and submerged. The floating plants get thrown into the compost pile. I did try bringing some potted plants into the basment for the winter under a grow light. Looking back it was not worth the effort.

Ask a Question