Rosy Red babies (or goldfish)?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a - Arlington, VA
I have some baby fish that showed up in the pond (first mostly hanging around at the top in the middle of a water lily) and I have Rosy Reds and goldfish in my pond so I'm not entirely sure what they are. I'm thinking Rosy Reds, but do goldfish start out as long thin fry and then fill out as they get bigger? Picture below.

20140815_103736_resized.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I had the same issue last year -- mine turned out to be RR's, but now that I know what GF fry look like, it does make it easier to tell. I think they are RR's, but I'd give them another week or so.

Reaction score
My baby RR do not have black eyes o_O Some have a black spot or two but never black eyes. Now some of the gf spawned with the shubbies and I have gf fry with black eyes. You have a shubbie in your pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a - Arlington, VA
Thanks all.

I do have 2 shubies and one white goldfish in the pond fishylove, so if the eyes are an indicator it could be shubies. But based on the dorsal fins from the photos in mmathis' thread the look more like rosy reds.

I'll wait and watch. Overall I'm hoping for rosies since I use them a lot in containers, etc to take care of any mosquito larva.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks all.

I do have 2 shubies and one white goldfish in the pond fishylove, so if the eyes are an indicator it could be shubies. But based on the dorsal fins from the photos in mmathis' thread the look more like rosy reds.

I'll wait and watch. Overall I'm hoping for rosies since I use them a lot in containers, etc to take care of any mosquito larva.
My baby RR do not have black eyes o_O Some have a black spot or two but never black eyes. Now some of the gf spawned with the shubbies and I have gf fry with black eyes. You have a shubbie in your pond?

Good point about the black eyes..... I didn't notice what my RR babies' eyes looked like, but I did learn this year that Shubies will have black eyes (compared to normals). Milhouse, any idea how old these fry could be? ( LOL, auto-correct just made your name be "jailhouse"). I think this was one of my first lessons in patience....;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Millhouse, I have some baby rosie reds too. They all have black eyes and look just like your baby fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a - Arlington, VA
Thanks comet. I continue to check them out each day and am pretty convinced they are rr babies at this point. They are about three weeks old and they are staying with a very rr body type. They are on the small side though for their age since I ran out of the little bit of flake I had with me (we took them along in a gallon jar on a trip to watch and left the rest in the pond to try to survive in their own) so all they've had is a little bread crumbs... I just hope they get the orange color soon or else I'm worried they might stay the natural color. All the ones in the pond are orange so I don't think they'll revert but don't know the genetics. When I get back this weekend it will be interesting to see how the ones we left in the pond did.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a - Arlington, VA
Now that I'm back I can see at least 10 still surviving in the pond. These are bigger, but still long and thin and showing a pale rosie redish color, so it looks like they are definitely RRs.

Ask a Question