Rosy Reds have Disappeared

Reaction score
Hi

Last week I put about 2 dozen rosy reds in my pond. I have not seen them for about 6 days. They have all disappeared. I have 2 bullfrogs in my pond that I mentioned in one of my previous posts. One is about 4 - 5" long without its legs extended. The other one is smaller. Could either or both of them be the culprit for my rosy's being MIA ?. I haven't seen or heard them in a couple of days. Maybe they either hopped away or their stomachs are full . At first I thought the frogs were cute to have in my pond,but this means "war " if they are the culprit. i haven't seen any other "predators" near my pond.

Here are 2 pix of the larger bullfrog and a photo of a American Toad that made my pond its home. You will see a tadpole swimming by the bullfrog in one of the photos. This kind of gives you a sense of scale on how big the bullfrog is. The toad doesn't look too happy.

Attachments

• Bullfrog a.jpg
    Bullfrog a.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_5358a.jpg
    IMG_5358a.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_5438a.jpg
    IMG_5438a.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 314
Reaction score
I've had goldfish disappear only to return in a few days. I see them on the surface all the time now. They coexist with a dozen bullfrogs without any apparent problem. But then again they might just be the ones that lived long enough to adapt.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I seriously doubt a bullfrog would get all 2 dozen in a week. I wouldn't put it past one to get one or two here or there if really hungry but really they prefer to eat above water level, very seldom will they eat below the surface unless forced to to survive, and even then, I can't see how they would be smart enough to catch that many that fast.

Reaction score
Just like most fish it takes a little time for them to get used to humans. Once they understand your not going to hurt them they are nice community fish.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have some in my lotus pond have yet to see them, but no floating bodies either.

Reaction score
Thank you all . I actually saw 1 rosy dart out,the same thing is said for my goldfish, from my lily pads today. I will keep a look out for them. I haven't seen any floating bodies either.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
Gomer14 said:
Thank you all . I actually saw 1 rosy dart out,the same thing is said for my goldfish, from my lily pads today. I will keep a look out for them. I haven't seen any floating bodies either.

still think they may well be getting eaten by the bullfrogs

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Guoted from wikipedia: Stomach content studies going back to 1913 suggest the bullfrog preys on any animal it can overpower and stuff down its throat. Bullfrog stomachs have been found to contain rodents, small turtles, snakes, frogs—including bullfrogs, birds, even a bat, as well as the many invertebrates which are the usual food of ranid frogs.[8] These studies furthermore reveal the bullfrog's diet to be unique among North American Rana in the inclusion of large percentages of aquatic animals, e.g., fish, tadpoles, Planorbid snails, Dytiscid beetles. The specialized ability of bullfrogs to capture submerged and large strong prey comprises a pronounced biting motor pattern that follows up on the initial and typical ranid tongue strike.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yikes glad I'm bigger than any bullfrogs. Imagine walking down the road and zap a giant tongue whips you off your feet and down into the belly of the beast goes you :lol:
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, not a pretty site :rolleyes:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
laughing jw..................that would suck

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put some rosey reds into my lotus pond, never have seen them, do have a ton of tad poles in there. Still have never seen the rosey reds, but did see fry yesterday...........lol so they must be around. The frogs don't seem to eat the fry or if they do they don't eat enough to worry about. We don't have any bull frogs here, so far.

jagan314

"CARP DIEM"
Reaction score
Having had bullfrogs from tadpoles as a child (mine grew to over 12inches long with legs extended.. I can't say they EVER went after fish.. They jumps at humming birds, and all kinds of other flying, crawling things.. but never fish.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
The only frogs I have ever seen actively eat under water are surname toads and African clawed. Neither is native in the US. Bullfrogs reportedly will if VERY hungry and no other food source is available.

Ask a Question