Rotted tubers!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I purchased 2 night blooming lilies this year. They got a late start blooming but eventually did well. I wanted to keep them for next year and as they are tropical, I brought them in. I had them in a 30 gallon aquarium. I cut them back when I brought them in and they immediately started growing again. Now, 3 weeks later there are no leaves and the tubers are fuzzy and soft. Anybody have any idea what went wrong? I have wintered over tropicals this way before and never had a problem.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We hadn't had a hard freeze yet. We did have temps in the 30s for a couple of nights but water temps were still 45-50.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I can't help. The few I tried to save rotted.
Did you have lights going?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I grow lots of tropical plants in my aquariums indoors. Just wondering what temp. your aquarium is? If the lilies came indoors from cold water, right into very warm water, that could indeed cause them to rot. Just a thought.
Barb

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They came in from cool water and went into tap water(treated). I'm guessing that because the aquarium is in front of a window facing west , maybe the water got too warm.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well it is a bummer, they are touchy.
Beautiful lilies but I don't have the desire to baby them over winter. I had a friend send me a few, just beautiful but lost them over the winter. Years ago now stick with hardy ones. I do baby the hardy hybrids I have, courtesy of you and dear hubby that paid a good price for two purples. They get a special marking on the pot and carefully put deep in the pond for winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I guess the only real conclusion is they didn't like something and so they died! That's pretty much how I garden in general. You can treat two identical plants exactly the same and one will thrive while the other dies. Like you said @mrsclem - maybe the water was too warm, maybe the fact it came from the tap... who knows. Putting up new growth like they did is often a sign that a plant is dying - I've learned that the hard way too. I get really excited about some new development and then realize it meant the end was near!

I'm going to try a tropical next year, but will probably treat it like an annual. Good for you for at least trying!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I pulled both pots and the tubers are completely rotted. The last time I did this the tank was in the unheated basement with no light. Going to stick to hardy lilies from now on.

Ask a Question