RTF5500 filter overflows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been running a RTF5500 twin filter system fo 12 months (purchased second hand & ran like a dream). Suddenly the first chamber is overflowing. Stripped everything out, rinsed, put back & still overflows. Have washed sponges in second tank twice but still have the same issue. All pipelines to the water feature from the filter outlet have been checked & are clear. Any thoughts anyone?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Try running the filter without any filter material. That will tell you if it ia in the plumbing or not. Then add the media to 1 chamber and try it. This testing method will tell you where the problem is.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1568155955528.gif
@RichardB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Try running the filter without any filter material. That will tell you if it ia in the plumbing or not. Then add the media to 1 chamber and try it. This testing method will tell you where the problem is.
The problem must be with the second tank as the first tank fills with ease. I have removed the five sponge filters fitted to the manifold in the second tank but the system still overflows. The pipe work from the manifold to the pond are clean and have run without issue for the last year. So still can't work out what's going on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
If the 2nd tank does not overflow but the first tank does and you have no filter media in the tanks the problem is in the connector between the tanks.. It is not about how the tank fills but how it drains if your problem is about tanks overflowing.
Again..remove ALL filter media from all tanks and try the filter. If any tanks overflow it is a drain/pipe problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If the 2nd tank does not overflow but the first tank does and you have no filter media in the tanks the problem is in the connector between the tanks.. It is not about how the tank fills but how it drains if your problem is about tanks overflowing.
Again..remove ALL filter media from all tanks and try the filter. If any tanks overflow it is a drain/pipe problem.
Sorry, I should of said, the second tank also overflows. I agree it must be something to do with the pipework. I have flushed the pipework out from the manifold in the second tank to the pond, so I am fairly confident it is clear. Plus the existing pipework has been in use for the last year with no problem. The only other thing I can think of is to replace this pipework from the second tank to the pond and see if that does anything. Unless you can think of anything else I could try.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Did you change the pump and increase the flow, if you increased the inflow the outflow might not handle it. Or there must be an obstruction in the return line if it worked before and is now overflowing the last chamber.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Did you change the pump and increase the flow, if you increased the inflow the outflow might not handle it. Or there must be an obstruction in the return line if it worked before and is now overflowing the last chamber.
No changes made to the pump. I have since disconnected the pipework from the second tank and ran a hose through it with water to doublecheck it was clear up to the water feature. There was nothing to suggest a blockage in the pipework. I then primed the pipework up to the water feature (With water) remove the five sponges and the manifold and set the pump running. Once I had a good head of water running in the second tank and out of the outlet pipe I attached the manifold and then one by one the sponges. Believe it or not it is now running as it has done previously. Problem solved but I don't really know why or how. Thank you for your help and interest in my first pond problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I found your problem, you had an air lock.
The discharge pipe has a high point that holds air and restricts the water flow. By forcing water through the pipe you got rid of the air.At some point filter allowed air into the discharge pipe and creating the problem as well over time there will acumulate air in the high point. The best fix is to redo the outlet line so there is no high point, when putting in the new drain do not make a high spot and best to make it a larger diameter pipe.

Ask a Question