Rubber liner vs cement

tinkerman

tinkerman
Reaction score
I am rebuilding my pond. After 12 years and dozens of patches. The original liner was a cheapo. My problem is lots of visits from a heron who always pokes holes in liner with his beak. Tired of the drain and patch management. Will a 45mil liner withstand a heron? Not willing to keep a net over pond (ugly). Thanks for advice.

Reaction score
Can you make it so the heron can't poke those holes? My house had a pond setup when I purchased it, they would always get in and eat goldfish. I redid my ponds making them deeper with the top pong only gaining 6 in of water depth, now at 30in and the sides went from 12 to 20 inches however a very steep slope so the heron will not stand.

45mil is tough stuff..... That's what I used

Reaction score
If a heron wanted to poke a hole in EPDM they could I should think. Never heard of that however.

I've had trouble with dogs digging thru EPDM during a build. I mortar rock over liner.

tinkerman

tinkerman
Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice. My pond was 3 feet deep with hide outs for the fish. Heron was not in pond but on the side. As he fished he would strike and that beak of his would poke two perfect triangular holes in the liner. It's a small pond so the result was immediate. Liner looks like an old inner tube!

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I have 45 mil EPDM and have been amazed at the durability and longevity.

The current lily pond has a clay lump a bit bigger then a golf ball that is as hard as a rock. 8 years latter the lump is sill there and the liner has not leaked.

My oldest is over 20 years old and has never had proper edging to protect it from the sun. Still good.

Ask a Question