Rubber Liner

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I recently moved into a home that has an 18' x 12' koi pond with a rubber liner. There is unsightly rebar holding the liner in place all around the perimeter of the pond. The rebar extends about 12" high and is an impalement hazard so I will either cut them down or eliminate them. Are there stakes that are used for holding the liner so I can eliminate the rebar?
Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick reply. It's kinda difficult to see but here's a close-up showing a couple rebars.

Attachments

• IMG_4604.jpeg
    IMG_4604.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 304
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi BobW, I'm no expert, but I can't say that I've ever seen pond liner edges staked down like that. Usually the pressure of the water and coping stones are enough to keep the liner in place. If these are short pieces of rebar I'd say pull them out, but I wonder if they are protruding out of some sort of reinforced concrete situation underground and maybe the previous owners didn't have a way to cut them off. Either way, I see no need for them to be sticking up like that. Good luck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Looks like the installers had no clue what they were doing. Until you are ready to redo aka make bigger the pond I would cut them down at the ground level and leave them for now. sawsaz with a few metal blades should do it

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
most liners stay in place by themselves ,are sure it was not used as predator control .Like to hold a net in place

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
That's a definite safety hazard. My wife cut her leg on a piece of rebar that is a property marker. Another trip to the ER... I cut that sucker down with my sawzall.
That liner shouldn't move, but if you want, place some rocks or stones there in place of the rebar.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @BobW !

And wow - that’s a first. I’ve never seen a pond liner staked in place and as you noted, it’s a real hazard.

Can you see liner all around the perimeter? If so, we can talk you through an appropriate edge finish - much safer and better looking!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No need for the re-bar that I am aware of, pond liners stays in place without rebar holding it. I would get rid of it.

Welcome to our forum!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all so much for the great replies. Seems like the rebar is only in about 12-18" deep so they should be relatively easy to remove. I'll put a couple metal landscape stakes in place near each rebar to be sure but it sounds like everyone is in agreement that the rocks should hold the liner in place just fine. Thank you again for all the help.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
do not step on the rebar it can be sharp and also rusted .Pound a piece of pvc over it into the ground and then put a rock on top

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'll put a couple metal landscape stakes in place near each rebar to be sure
I would have to second that idea. as a builder and someone who gets a little creative at times I know of such a instance where I made a circle top window out of a sliding door panel. though the panel was rectangular you would never know it as the upper corners were behind trim and sheet rock. it was easy for me to make the trim rounded and not spend the 2,800.00 on a circle top. Well here's the point of the story , THERE WERE TWO NAILS IN THE UPPER PARTS OF THE TRIM I USED to hang x mass lights I told my son to never drive the nails as it would blow out the glass behind the trim and sheet rock. Well when I left he house to the x her new bo decided not to listen to my son or his warning from his dad "me" he drove the nail and blew out the window " classic" or another possibility is tent stakes

Ask a Question