rubber roofing for waterfall

Reaction score
i am in the process of digging my pond. i planned on a 9x14 pond but it has grown to 9x19. I had ordered a 15x25 goodyear .45 mil liner which should be here soon.. Because I made my pond larger than I had planned I no longer have enough liner left over for the waterfall. I was wondewring if I can use rubber roofing material just for under the waterfall portion or will that affect my fish and plants. I read somewhere that type of rubber was not good for ponds with fish or plants. Or do I have to order the goodyear stuff and wait another week.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I would error on the side of ordering the good stuff and wait to put in your falls.

Also post an introduction in the introduction thread.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Please post a introduction. Goodyear doesn't make pond liner as far as I am aware of., Firestone does, If your liner is firestone .45 mil EPDM the firestone roofing rubber is the exact same thing. I know someone that has talked to a firestone represenative and they assure us its the same material, one is sold through a roofing wholesaler, one is sold through a Pond wholesaler. If it's Goodyear, I can't speak for them. never heard of Goodyear making either one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I bought my pond liner from a local lumber yard. It is rolled roofing Firestone EPDM 45 mil, and it's perfectly safe to use for fish and plants. The local large landscaper that puts in ponds uses it as well. The added benefit from buying it from the lumber yard was that they delivered it for free! It was cheaper than what I had found on-line, too. Good luck!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lowes has liner in their garden center if you want to pick some up quickly. I saw epdm there.

Reaction score
Thank you all. I did order a firestone not a goodyear liner. The rubber roofing that I found around here I believe was Tyvek. I did find some pond liners at Home Depot so I will probably just get it there. Thanks for all the responses.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was told that roofing epdm is fine after you wash of the powder on it,

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Used roofing kind on both my ponds and all I did was hose it off..........I would do that w/ any liner tho. My ponds were just fine with it, fish survived and are happy today in it :alieneyesa:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
Used roofing kind on both my ponds and all I did was hose it off..........I would do that w/ any liner tho. My ponds were just fine with it, fish survived and are happy today in it :alieneyesa:

Do they smile as they swim around jw? is that how you can tell they are happy............

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A liner is a liner and in your waterfall you will have rocks covering it .All liners as I checked on the net started as roofing material and some guy from firestone had some and built a pond with it over 30 years ago and it still has the same liner and has not had one leak .I was looking on the net about where liner came from and that was one of the stories with pics about pond liners .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
addy1 said:
Do they smile as they swim around jw? is that how you can tell they are happy............

fiss2.gif

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, pond liner is "finished" a little differently which keeps it from leaching into the water and breaking down. Every once and a while a company will run out of the anti-mold powder they treat the surface of roofing liner with and mix an anti-mold agent directly into the rubber which can kill fish. I see roofing liner being sold as pond liner all the time on ebay but never have the heart to report it.

Ask a Question