Rubber to concrete

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I need to glue some liner down to some concrete. My pond is concrete. It didn’t have a skimmer. I am building a skimmer but need to seal an area. I am hoping to seal the rubber to the concrete.
many ideas?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are you patching an area with rubber on a concrete area that failed ?
Are you applying rubber over the entire concrete pond?
Are you hoping to cut in a skimmer in a concrete wall and you think using rubber is the best way to seal this ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I am wanting to cut in the skimmer into the concrete pond. I will have to seal the skimmer to the pond. I was thinking I could glue down some rubber roofing material on the concrete. One edge is glued the other edge gets fastened like normal to the skimmer.
the edge that gets glued to the concrete I was thinking out putting some brick motor mix to help seal as well.
I just don’t know what a good glue would be. Would the glue that glued two pices of liner together glue to concrete

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am wanting to cut in the skimmer into the concrete pond.
I have done alot of work with rubber . this does not sound like the best choice of methods to secure a new skimmer. concrete constantly gives off residue this is why painting concrete is never a great idea as it does not last. The only way I know to accomplish this is by using mechanical fasteners termination strips guess caulking and seaming tape. if this sounds ugly it is . your best bet is to look at a pond site like Sacramento koi as they love concrete ponds and I believe they advertise they are more then happy to help is designing criteria. They make skimmers for concrete ponds and that's the direction I would lean toward.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I will be building my own skimmer based on Wrighty on YouTube. The pond was built in the late 1950’s. I was thinking about a mechanical fastener at the edge of the rubber.
I probably should take some pictures to explain a bit better

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
This is where I want to put my skimmer I haven’t got the barrel cut yet but I have to attach something to seal the concrete to the barrel in that location I do have a piece of rubber liner that I want to lay in the area and then seal it to the barrel like you would normally do a scammer not in a line or pond and then line rocks on the side and put some P gravel’s or something on there to hide it make it look a little

Attachments

• 8BA3F069-3987-4F8A-93B4-0B0DFA3DAEA2.jpeg
    8BA3F069-3987-4F8A-93B4-0B0DFA3DAEA2.jpeg
    313.1 KB · Views: 109

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
why do you feel you need a skimmer .D lots of stuff fall into the pond .Exposing concrete to weather changes and adding rubber to it will cause changes in both and movement in both that will be different so no matter what it may never seal up

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Would not the expansion and contraction ba at a minimum? The concrete and rubber really wouldn’t be exposed as it would be under water. My pond is constantly being filled from ground water from a sump to stop my bunker from flooding. That keeps the water temp fairly constant
I want a skimmer to help stop the leaves collecting in the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They have in pond skimmers but not sure I would connect rubber to concrete .I really do not think any thing would be 100 % waterproof .Concrete can be acidic

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Would not the expansion and contraction ba at a minimum? The concrete and rubber really wouldn’t be exposed as it would be under water. My pond is constantly being filled from ground water from a sump to stop my bunker from flooding. That keeps the water temp fairly constant
I want a skimmer to help stop the leaves collecting in the pond.
Uv affects rubber more then temp does as far as longevity temps within day to day reason

Where you are placing the skimmer are you creating a Stream channel with the new concrete pad you poured and are going to have the barrel strat at the end of the our and build side walls or is you skimmer sitting on that new concrete? and if it is sitting on it why opening the pond down to the bottom of the skimmer ?

Without knowing what your plan is in the skimmer foam blocks, pad, filter basket, pump it's hard seeing what you planning or how to seal it up i know i would not build a skimmer area again i would do a negative edge or overflow . skimmers are becoming old school.

There are ways to make a "seal" from concrete to rubber; i would go over board and cut a slot and insert the rubber in a bed of pls30 both in the cut Before the cut and over the cut when rubber is inserted. You can apply a primer on the concrete to help hold the rubber to the concrete but it will do very little over time to keep it water proof. I would have bitchathane under the rubber back from the where the rubber was placed in the cut and SECURE WITH A TERMINATION STRIP.. HOW TO SECURE TO YOUR dyi skimmer has it's own issues but that is not your question

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I myself would have made an extension of the pond wall cut the wall down to where you want your water line . adjust for how much flow your going to have then i would have built a bottom and side walls they went back to your dyi and have it simply dump into the top of the skimmer all done .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
The negative edge idea is a good one. Check them out. You could do it at the end of that new concrete pad. Sink that barrel in the ground. Put your pump in it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Uv affects rubber more then temp does as far as longevity temps within day to day reason

Where you are placing the skimmer are you creating a Stream channel with the new concrete pad you poured and are going to have the barrel strat at the end of the our and build side walls or is you skimmer sitting on that new concrete? and if it is sitting on it why opening the pond down to the bottom of the skimmer ?

Without knowing what your plan is in the skimmer foam blocks, pad, filter basket, pump it's hard seeing what you planning or how to seal it up i know i would not build a skimmer area again i would do a negative edge or overflow . skimmers are becoming old school.

There are ways to make a "seal" from concrete to rubber; i would go over board and cut a slot and insert the rubber in a bed of pls30 both in the cut Before the cut and over the cut when rubber is inserted. You can apply a primer on the concrete to help hold the rubber to the concrete but it will do very little over time to keep it water proof. I would have bitchathane under the rubber back from the where the rubber was placed in the cut and SECURE WITH A TERMINATION STRIP.. HOW TO SECURE TO YOUR dyi skimmer has it's own issues but that is not your question
The channel will have block or rock on the sides. Will have brick mortar to make it smooth for adhering the rubber. The barrel will sit at the end of the channel below the water line.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I myself would have made an extension of the pond wall cut the wall down to where you want your water line . adjust for how much flow your going to have then i would have built a bottom and side walls they went back to your dyi and have it simply dump into the top of the skimmer all done .
So have the water kind of waterfall into the barrell?

Ask a Question