RubberizeIt for ponds

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought some "RubberizeIt" paint - a form of liquid rubber :D.

I've got frame made out of aluminium, but stupidly used stainless steel brackets for riveting it all together (didn't think about galvanic corrosion at the time). The paint is supposed to be aquatic friendly, so I'll post a little bit more about it in this thread once I've had a chance to use it properly. I've currently got 3 coats on the underside of the frame, but it needs a bit more work.

I'm impressed with it so far, but if anyone else has used this or has some tips then please do let me know :). It doesn't look like rubber paint is common in the UK, although I found lots of the stuff in the USA when searching for it.

Will post more with photos once I've made some progress :).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's an aluminium pond frame which will have a net stretched over the top. When we moved house a couple of years ago we inherited a pond (a small 2x1m rectangular one) - but the neighbours have problems with herons. We were left a rotting wooden frame, but I thought a protected metal one with central cut-out for the fountain would be easier in the long run. As soon as it's ready, I'll get some pics up :).

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Love my protective net over the pond. Mr Heron has been dropping by lately but he goes away flustered.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Phew, pond frame done! :D

Pond Frame.jpg

The rubber paint worked great at covering the aluminium, although with hindsight I'd have tried to dip the pieces rather than painting lots of coats on. The hardest part was trying to keep the net attached to the frame - ended up drilling a series of holes 100mm apart and then using small cable ties to hold it in place :).

It's a shame I need to use the frame, but we're surrounded by trees so at least it will keep the leaves out too!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice job Ian. Looks like you had to cut some bigger holes to let your plants grow through. That works!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very neat job. Looks professional. Mine is just sort of tossed over the pond, but it is for the heron not the leaves. The frame is not that intrusive.

Ask a Question