Rubbermaid 300 gallon stock tank

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just bought a 300 gallon stock tank from tractor supply for my koi for the winter. Honestly as soon as I get it I want to start getting it ready. I see them starting to slow down cause the water is getting colder. They’re only about 8 inches long so it will be perfect for them!! Now I’m thinking how the heck am I going to get this in my basement!!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I just bought a 300 gallon stock tank from tractor supply for my koi for the winter. Honestly as soon as I get it I want to start getting it ready. I see them starting to slow down cause the water is getting colder. They’re only about 8 inches long so it will be perfect for them!! Now I’m thinking how the heck am I going to get this in my basement!!
V-E-R-Y C-A-R-E-F-U-L-L-Y! Is this the big rounded (oblong) one? If so, it can be done by two people. Not easy, but possible!
John

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah it is. I’m having my friend come over the day it’s suppose to come to help. The problem that I didn’t think about until after I bought it is. My basement stairs are in the back of my garage and then the go down. I don’t think I’m going to make it. Other solution my spare room will be a koi fish room lol. Lay down a tarp and then I have roommates lol.
04DD0E01-A51E-4141-900D-6783DCAB2C00.png

Reaction score
Country
United States
Check (and double check) to be sure the drain plug doesn't leak.
Why can't your fish stay outside in your pond?
Again, please check to be sure the drain plug doesn't leak. Suggest you do this before bringing it inside your house.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Why are you bringing them inside? How many of them are there? Moving fish is stressful for them, but you want to be sure to cycle the new water before you add them. Adding water from the current pond is best, but sounds like it could be challenging in your situation.

If you do decide they need to be in the actual house, I'd caution you that adding an indoor pond will increase humidity in your house. This could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your location, house, etc.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh trust me I will!! I may actually glue it cause I’m not going to ever use it. And I don’t believe my pond would be deep enough. Even if it is I think I’d have a heart attack not being able to see them. I live in New York so it can get really cold out here

Reaction score
Country
United States
Why are you bringing them inside? How many of them are there? Moving fish is stressful for them, but you want to be sure to cycle the new water before you add them. Adding water from the current pond is best, but sounds like it could be challenging in your situation.

If you do decide they need to be in the actual house, I'd caution you that adding an indoor pond will increase humidity in your house. This could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your location, house, etc.
I don’t think my pond is deep enough and our buffalo winter are rough. I actually have a pump that pumps water and I was going to use it to drain the pond into the thing I’m going to keep them in. I really don’t think I have a choice. But to move them. My pond is the one thing that keeps my calm and if I left them in there and something happened to them I’d be devastated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don’t think my pond is deep enough and our buffalo winter are rough. I actually have a pump that pumps water and I was going to use it to drain the pond into the thing I’m going to keep them in. I really don’t think I have a choice. But to move them. My pond is the one thing that keeps my calm and if I left them in there and something happened to them I’d be devastated.
I have 3 koi and one gold fish in there

Reaction score
Country
United States
Buffalo isn't known for its mild winters! :)
Besides sealing the drain, please carefully examine where you are going to place the stock tank. Proceed with extreme caution if the room is over a garage, basement or on the second floor of your home. That tank's weight after water is added will be enormous and have little weight distribution. People have had structural failures after placing large aquariums in their homes. I would consult a structural engineer before placing that thing upstairs. Amyrae, we are all trying to help you and are so happy you have asked for advice. Please let us know whatever we can do to help you take care of your finned friends.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
How deep is your pond?

Just some ideas...
Some people have built a temporary structure covered with plastic sheeting over their ponds and surprisingly the water doesn't freeze. A homemade greenhouse basically. Some have used a pool solar cover. You can use PVC pipe for the frame. PVC pipe is very inexpensive. Or you can use wood.

You could add a deicer to help out. I use a 250 watt deicer that just keeps a hole in the ice. I once had a 750 watt one that was too powerful. It kept a large area of open water. I live in zone 6a, northeastern part of Pennsylvania. Our Winters can be quite cold.

Reaction score
Country
United States
how do the fish survive in Lake Erie? maybe try to mimic the water temp there...i'll bet google knows
the winter temps.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lake Erie is deeper than 3 feet and honestly I go to a pond place they told me it’s not deep enough and I’m content with bringing them in. I’ll feel better I appreciate it but I think I’d be a wreck all winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
how do the fish survive in Lake Erie? maybe try to mimic the water temp there...i'll bet google knows
the winter temps.
I think the concern is that the pond may be too shallow for the Winter temperature, although the exact depth of the pond has not been mentioned. I asked that question, but never got an answer. It's quite possible the fish may be fine. We don't know the size and depth of the pond to make that judgment.

The required depth to support fish in a NY climate should have been taken into consideration when the pond was built. Those koi eventually are going to grow much larger. I have a couple massive koi.

Catching and relocating koi can be stressful to them, as mentioned. Doing that constantly every Fall and Spring might result in some loss of life, especially as they grow to a significant size. I lost a nice 15 inch koi some years ago when I had to replace my liner. It went into shock and never recovered.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lake Erie is deeper than 3 feet and honestly I go to a pond place they told me it’s not deep enough and I’m content with bringing them in. I’ll feel better I appreciate it but I think I’d be a wreck all winter
but I am doing to look into some other methods recommended for next year.

Ask a Question