morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
No, the PVC (black plumbing tubing) is made to fit snugly into the black portion of the bulkhead fitting. It can be permanently affixed using PVC primer and PVC adhesive, but will stay in there just as well by friction.

Take a mosey on over to Home Depot or wherever. grab the two components and you'll see what I mean. Easy, cheap, effective.............

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
a hole saw, then bulkhead fittings. The bulkhead fittings can be sealed with marine silicone.

Measure twice, cut once. Cut multiple holes along one side of your tub, as many as you require to get the outflow to the desired discharge rate.

View attachment 94346

And these work with PVC pipe. All that is have ever used. Need not be threaded. Slip union works best.
On outflow size. The 2 to 1 rule applies to gravity feed systems only.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a two inch input and two two inch out puts. If I open the ball valve totally it can over whelm the output. But with it cranked down it does great and a great flow.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
get bulk heads those other things crack after awhile .If you look at my build I have a tuff tank and have had it for 4 years now .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have a two inch input and two two inch out puts. If I open the ball valve totally it can over whelm the output. But with it cranked down it does great and a great flow.
Can't remember, do you have multiple pumps or did you split your flow?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can't remember, do you have multiple pumps or did you split your flow?
One pump, most of the flow goes to the bog. I use a ball valve to send flow to the 1000 gallon tank.
My outputs are two pieces of 2 inch pvc, gooped in with pl roofing stuff. It has been running for 3-4 years now.

I do have a small clean water pump that runs on a timer to send pond water up to the deck pond. So technically two pumps.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have a Laguna max flow 2400 with 1 1/4 inch black tubing going to what will be the bog. I though I would do a 1 or 1 1/2 inch pvc plumbing on the bottom and then 2 outlet tubes at the top.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@tbendl Are you planning to re-design your pond, as well? And is this going to replace your current bog? I can't wait to see what that "hole in the ground" turns into, as you did such a nice job on the first go around!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah. I gutted the old bog last week. It was overflowing with plants and I used too small of pipe so I was just going to dig it out and replumb but there were some additional issues so I bought the tank on sale on Sunday and just finished pulling all the concrete blocks last night. Hopefully today after work I can do a mock up of my plan.
I really hadn't planned on doing all of this now but... well... I am now.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yeah. I gutted the old bog last week. It was overflowing with plants and I used too small of pipe so I was just going to dig it out and replumb but there were some additional issues so I bought the tank on sale on Sunday and just finished pulling all the concrete blocks last night. Hopefully today after work I can do a mock up of my plan.
I really hadn't planned on doing all of this now but... well... I am now.
When is there ever a good time? Our pond is going into its 5th season. Three years ago, decided to make a bog. Have made "0" progress to date. Two years ago, did a major renovation [to battle collapsing, clay soil]. Still haven't done a darn thing to the raised edging.....looks pretty tacky. But I'm just lazy. I certainly can't say that about you, girl!!

I used 1-1/2" PVC for the turtle-bog, and instead of a stream or waterfall, the return-to-pond is via 4" PVC. As it is, I have to monitor the water level in the bog closely [mine has a large, open area in the center, like a pool for the turtles]. I doesn't take much, root-wise to clog the output drain and cause the bog to overflow. When I notice the pond level dropping, that's the first thing I check. When I make the "real" bog, I'm using 2" PVC as the underneath distribution. This bog will be raised a couple of feet and my plan is to have the water return via a stream/waterfall. So, can't WAIT to see what magic you do with yours!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Are you still planning on adding some form of stream?
Maybe, for the big bog -- just a short conduit to carry water to a waterfall. Think of it more like an extended waterfall. I wanted a stream for the turtle-bog, but in the end opted for the closed PVC for several reasons. The main reason was since the stream would flow a good distance through the habitat on its return to the pond, I could see major issues with dirty turtles getting into the filtered water. A stream would be nice for them, but not with this setup.

Ask a Question