Rules are rules

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Rules are Rules!

The Good news:
It was a normal day in Sharon Springs Kansas , when a Union Pacific crew boarded a loaded coal train for the long trek to Salina ..

The Bad news:
Just a few miles into the trip a wheel bearing became overheated and melted, letting a metal support drop down and grind on the rail, creating white hot molten metal droppings spewing down to the rail.

The Good news:
A very alert crew noticed smoke about halfway back in the train and immediately stopped the train in compliance with the rules.

The Bad news:
The train stopped with the hot wheel over a wooden bridge with creosote ties and trusses.

The crew tried to explain to higher-ups but were instructed not to move the train!

They were instructed Rules prohibit moving the train when a part is defective!

REMEMBER, RULES ARE RULES!
(Don't ever let common sense get in the way of a good disaster!)

Attachments

• unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 311
  • unknownbn.jpg
    unknownbn.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 281
  • unknownm.jpg
    unknownm.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 250
  • unknownv.jpg
    unknownv.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 289

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Thanks, I was looking for this. Had it several months ago and lost it before I could show a train buff the photos.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol what a trip, makes you think, can they even think on their own?

Reaction score
Yeah, even where I work there have been things that came down from higher-ups and sometimes it just doesn't make sense. They don't know all the details and logistics of a change or something. Then, when we make the change, the realize their mistake and understand that they probably just wasted a lot of money over something dumb. Still, to this day, if they want me to do something, I have to do it and I just have to realize that it isn't my call.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
It has been going around for about 6 months. I love the story even if it is a little hard to swallow. Kind of reminds me of our new government.

Ask a Question