Running pump during winter months

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just moved into a house with a beautiful established pond built by the previous owners. I'm guessing it contains about 2000 gallons. I have no experience with pond care but want to learn more. The pump has a timer feature and a small waterfall as well. What's the recommended amount of time per day to run the pump during the winter months? I live in Greenville NC. Thanks.

Dennis

Reaction score
I'm much more north, and freezing is an issue up here, and we still run 24/7. We just have a couple areas we need to watch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We live in the UK and have kept koi for 26 years now , personally I'd run the pond 24/7, 365 days in the year , I recomend you also do some reading up on your fish subject first as that way you'd know if you were going wrong or not .
Weve posted a list of books from our koi Library that would help you imeansly in learming how to keep fish/koi , health issues etc, they are listed with title, Author, ISBN numbers all you have to do is go out and buy one or two , you wont go wrong
rgrds

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I shut mine down, but my pump is external (a lose of power it could freeze up and be ruined) and my filter is a big bog, which with the surface area really cools the pond water.

Did the previous owners tell you anything about it care?

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
Mine is still going right now. We haven't had too many cold nights here yet. I'm in central Iowa. We had a high of 57*F yesterday and supposed to get to 63 today. Not too bad for December.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You are warmer than I am since i am 15 minutes from the NC border and still have my pumps and filters running and usually leave them on until late december but i watch the weather forecast closely and if I see it is going to be in the 30 or 40 range for a week and looks like a Canadian front is coming down then i shut off the filters and drain them .It is supposed to be in the 70's part of this week .

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
You are warmer than I am since i am 15 minutes from the NC border and still have my pumps and filters running and usually leave them on until late december but i watch the weather forecast closely and if I see it is going to be in the 30 or 40 range for a week and looks like a Canadian front is coming down then i shut off the filters and drain them .It is supposed to be in the 70's part of this week .
Those damn Canadians! :nananananana:
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh you darn Canadians got to share your cold with us and not care that we share our warmth with you .You should all be ashamed . :LOL:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
The pump has a timer feature and a small waterfall as well. What's the recommended amount of time per day to run the pump during the winter months?
Can you post some pictures? The waterfall's construction will determine if ya can run it during the Winters. Certain types of water flows are much more prone to allowing the freeze to create water dams; if this does happen, then your entire pond could empty.

Reaction score
Those damn Canadians! :nananananana:
John
yeh you darn Canadians got to share your cold with us and not care that we share our warmth with you .You should all be ashamed . :LOL:
Show a little gratitude.
You folks should be down on your knees thanking us Canadians for absorbing the brunt of those arctic cold air masses for you, by the time it gets down to you guys it's already started to warm up significantly.
And that goes double for one like Wayne and Colleen and Mitch, since they usually get the worst of it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks to all you Canadians for keeping the cold at bay but could you suck up some of this darn moisture down here in the N.W as it really bogging me down. It's rain down here but if you took it, I mean it would turn to snow and what's a little more snow to you guys?
snowburied.gif

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Thanks to all you Canadians for keeping the cold at bay but could you suck up some of this darn moisture down here in the N.W as it really bogging me down. It's rain down here but if you took it, I mean it would turn to snow and what's a little more snow to you guys?
snowburied.gif
Too much snow makes it hard to find our igloos! :ugh:
John

Ask a Question