rust in pond

Reaction score
Hi im new to all this so would be very grateful of any suggestions people have to offer,I have recently built a small wildlife pond,it went through a time of green cloudyness but now is clear,only problem now is that there seems to be a rust coloured deposit on the rocks,plants and shelves,I have a small pump going but I am waiting to upgrade,any Ideas,thanks ,baldybean.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums! Hope you manage to get to the bottom of the problem, some photos might help here.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
The strange rust colored water may be due to things falling in pond, I have had my ponds for over 22 years now in the same place, and every year like clockwork, the water starts to darken into a pretty golden color. It can get quite dark and then the pond bottom cannot be seen for a short time, maybe a couple weeks or even up to a month! Twenty years ago I too used to wonder how this would happen, fish seemed fine, water was darkened but very clear. Then I noticed that the bowls of water that I would set outside for the dogs would darken too, to the same deep golden (almost rusty) color. I finally figured it out, it was very small black pellets that fell everywhere like sand falling from all the trees. It was Caterpiller dung!! A very potent fertilizer for the yard and the pond! When the caterpillers come, the pond plants really start to grow good, and the caterpillers eat the finest greenest youngest leaves, so their dung is a very dense form of peat extract almost. I used to pay good money for concentrated liquid pond peat, but the caterpiller dung does the same thing!!

Watch and study your surroundings and look for clues as to what may be causing this in your pond. If you have lots of trees, it is probally the same thing, or something very similar. Not to worry, the caterpiller don't stay for too long, they transform into a moth or something. The caterpillers are a good thing, if it were not for the caterpillers the trees would take over my yard!! :)

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I just took these pictures from the deck, it has rained so the caterpiller dung pellets have started to swell. They disolve in water pretty quick. There is also a picture of my pond, clear but now golden colored water. The water will darken more as the caterpillers grow and eat more and poo more. It will clear up quick once the caterpillers stop eating and coccoon.

Attachments

• IMAG8807.jpg
    IMAG8807.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 355
  • IMAG8810.jpg
    IMAG8810.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 364
  • IMAG8808.jpg
    IMAG8808.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 375
  • IMAG8809.jpg
    IMAG8809.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 361
  • IMAG8751.jpg
    IMAG8751.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 382
  • IMAG8752.jpg
    IMAG8752.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 365
Reaction score
Hey madhatter,the water does look something like that,like you say,clear with a brown tinge,not noticed any caterpillers hanging around but ill keep it in mind,i will get some pics posted,thanks.

Ask a Question