Ryukin or comet?

Olenka

Life is beautiful! Enjoy every moment
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi all! What would you recommend for my 600 gallons pond? I have no fish yet. My pond is 4 weeks old. I have just 1 waterlily and lots of anacharis. I would not say that it is cycled - I did not add either ajmmonia or other organic matter (the water is fine, no ammonia)
Now I am ready to get 2-3 fish. This is my understanding that comets are hardier then ryukins. And that i am not supposed to keep those 2 varieties together. I would prefer ryukins. Love those butterfly tails:)

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Hi all! What would you recommend for my 600 gallons pond? I have no fish yet. My pond is 4 weeks old. I have just 1 waterlily and lots of anacharis. I would not say that it is cycled - I did not add either ajmmonia or other organic matter (the water is fine, no ammonia)
Now I am ready to get 2-3 fish. This is my understanding that comets are hardier then ryukins. And that i am not supposed to keep those 2 varieties together. I would prefer ryukins. Love those butterfly tails:)
Where do you live? At this point in the year in quite a few places, it is not the right time to add fish.

Basically anywhere not so tropical you could not add any fancy goldfish right now, as they all come from heated aquariums indoor, so would only be preferable to introduce them when your water is at its peak temperature.

I would not recommend keeping the two together, as comets are much faster than fancy goldfish.

Another consideration is predators, most fish are able to safely swim out of the way should a predator come near, but fancy goldfish would have a tougher time getting away it time, so you need protection for your pond.

all this said, whatever floats your boat, but right now may not be the best time :)

and fancy goldfish also get less large, so where you could only keep maybe six comets in that size pond you could have say 12 fancys :)

Olenka

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I was thinking about preditors. Comets r more practical. I know that. But i just like ryukins. There are 2 local garden centers near by that sell koi/goldfish. They keep ryukins outside in big plastic tubs.
We r in NJ, zone 6. This fall is very warm. Next week day time temperature will fluctuate between upper 60 and mid 70. Water temperature in my pond is around 62-63.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I was thinking about preditors. Comets r more practical. I know that. But i just like ryukins. There are 2 local garden centers near by that sell koi/goldfish. They keep ryukins outside in big plastic tubs.
We r in NJ, zone 6. This fall is very warm. Next week day time temperature will fluctuate between upper 60 and mid 70. Water temperature in my pond is around 62-63.
If they are kept outside that is much better.

with your current temps you could ad them but I would make sure you have everything sorted out such as predator protection first

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What would you recommend for my 600 gallons pond?
My similarly sized pond (700 gal) in Massachusetts was just completed about a couple of months ago. Over the course of the 2-3 weeks after that I added 10 goldfish: 2 Shubunkins, 2 Sarasas, and the rest comets. I've lost 1 fish so far (either a comet or Sarasa), but the rest seem to be doing well. If you really want to add some fish before winter, why not get a couple of comets? They're cheap, so you wouldn't be out a lot of money if you did lose them. But I agree with @TheFishGuy that your temps are probably okay now for doing it. In the spring, you could add something fancier like Shubunkins or Sarasas, which can be kept with comets in that they won't be out-competed for food. Goldfish are extremely hardy. One of my friends knows someone who's kept a goldfish pond for many years and he told my friend (jokingly) that he thinks you could probably freeze a goldfish in a solid block of ice, unfreeze it, and it would be fine. ;)

Olenka

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
In the spring, you could add something fancier like Shubunkins or Sarasas, which can be kept with comets in that they won't be out-competed for food.
Isn't Sarasa and Comet same fish? I think that sarasa is red&white comet. I could be wrong, though...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Isn't Sarasa and Comet same fish? I think that sarasa is red&white comet. I could be wrong, though...
Yes, you are correct. A Sarasa is a type of comet. According to Wikipedia: "Sarasa comets are characterized by their red-and-white coloration and resemble the Kohaku color pattern in koi."

Olenka

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
From my experience, while pretty, Ryukin tend to be less hardy than other types of goldfish.
I know :)))) I just like those double tails. My logic tells me that comets are better, but my heart belongs to ryukins.

Olenka

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Mmathis/@EricV,
thank you for your suggestions! Actually, I was thinking about wakins and watonais (especially watonais - they are so beautiful) It is not easy to find either one in NJ. I could get them shipped, but I feel uncomfortable with this idea. It's a torture for a poor fish. Also, they are expensive. Watonais are bread by Blackwater Creek only. Currently only calico are avail. I would prefer to get a solid color ones. Or red&white.

Olenka

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
This Sunday I fell in love with 2 fantails - white one, and orange one with white belly. I bought those guys and released them in the pond right away. From now on I am committed to double tails:)
If they overwinter, can I add watonais or waikins next spring?

Ask a Question