Sad day lost my largest fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Two day ago my largest fish jumped out of the pond and died. I know they can jump but I had not experienced any of my fish jumping. I have not lost a fish for any reason since I first introduced them into the pond 10 months ago. I know this is not the last fish I will lose but it was my first and it was a little sad.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sorry bossman and maybe for now you may need a window screening or netting over the pond .It can come from anything like aggressive spawning to water issues or a bug or butterfly tempting them .I just saw one jump in my pond when a butterfly landed on the pipe that holds up my pump .He hit the pipe pretty hard .They go after dragon flies also .I had to spray a black wasp nest or I would not have seen it happen .Darn black wasps are bad this year .Locusts plugged up another 1 of my pipes coming out of the filter also .6th time so far ,they must be attracted to the water .I take a couple out of the pond water and the filters everyday .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that! I've never had a fish jump out and die, but I've lost my share and I know it's sad...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Oh, I'm sorry for your loss.....I think here, we all understand. My Mom was visiting and she remarked " Gosh, you're sure going to be sad when one of your fish die." I nearly died on the spot when she said that....I love my 4 koi.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Check after big rainstorms; I have had my pond over fill from sudden hard rain, and twice large koi swam out. I went out with a flashlight and was able to put them back in the water and they lived!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Bummer...I know how heartbroken you must be. Lost my biggest koi to a heron last year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Any chance the koi was flashing? I have 10 Koi, most of them over 10 years, some 20. Only once in my original pond (28 years ago) did I find a Koi frozen in the winter on a rock off the edge of the pond. They couldn't jump out now the way it is designed but take note if any others are flashing. Sorry about the loss. Always a bummer!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Two day ago my largest fish jumped out of the pond and died. I know they can jump but I had not experienced any of my fish jumping. I have not lost a fish for any reason since I first introduced them into the pond 10 months ago. I know this is not the last fish I will lose but it was my first and it was a little sad.
Put a net over the pond, prevents them from jumping out and also prevents predators from eating your fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Arielle this thread is two years old. Look for the date upnext to the name

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm sorry to hear about the loss. I know that our tendency to get attached to our fish can be surprisingly strong.
We've lost several aquarium fish but never to jumping out of the aquarium.
One time our betta jumped out of its bowl (I personally would not keep bettas in bowls these days) but we were able to save it. I don't know how long they can survive out of water but I know that they can breathe air.

Ask a Question