Sad end to my day.

Reaction score
Haven't posted in a while. I returned home today to spot a large blue heron standing at the far end of my pool in the back yard, I then noticed something on the ground in front of him and went charging outside. It was one of our large koi, he attempted to take it with him but could not and flew off. I was hoping it was still alive, but that was not the case, it had several puncture wounds in it. I then searched the pond for the remaining 5 large koi, thankfully, they were all accounted for. But I beleve some of the Goldfish may be missing, It was too dark to tell, I will find out tomorrow.
I still had the fall netting over the pond, but this past weekend I folded a quarter of it back because the pond plants were being restricted by it. unbelievable that two days later a Heron takes advantage of this.
I do have a scarecrow (motion activated sprinkler) but I had not set it up yet this year, its up now along with some additional netting and string.
Good thing for them they are a protected species. I know they are just doing what comes naturally to them, I just wish they wouldn't do it at our pond.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to hear this have you thought about arming yourself with a high powered catapult like the one we have , not to kill the heron but to put the fear of bejesus into it so it wont come near your pond again ?

Dave

Reaction score
That is a neat idea. its interesting to read about the numerous types of deterents put in place for Herons. I hate the thought of having to leave the netting over the pond, It is without a doubt the best way to Heron-proof a pond though.
I had already been thinking about modifying a motion activated spotlight to turn on something to make some noise and movement.

TgM

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6a
Country
United States
I've been wondering about this for some time, does distance from your house matter?

I've got a koi pond that I enlarged last fall from 6 x 9 & 22 inches deep to 17 x 14 and 44 inches deep not a foot from my deck. Being that close to the house are herons that brave? I also have a 1/3 acre pond about 150 yards away, I've seen herons there but they usually get persuaded to leave.

Again, sorry about your loss pondering ponds. Not trying to hijack your thread, just curious.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I got wiped out 4 years ago by a GBH. The pond was right next to my kitchen and bed room. One heron ate 22 fish, three being over 18". Yes, they will come that close to a house if hungry. I saw some people using floating alligators. Thought what the heck, I'll try it. I haven not seen a single heron come up to the koi ponds with alligators floating in the water or sitting on the side. But they do visit our pond out front daily. I picked our alligators up from Walmart for $20. they marked some down at one store and I bought 4 more for $10 each. Now there are alligators everywhere. But so far, no herons, Can't say for a fact that's why but it seems to be working better than many other things I've tried.
BTW, So sorry for the loss, I know first hand how devastating it can be.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
nope, Mr. Heron won't forget a close encounter with Mr. Gator

Regards, andy
http://www.pinterest.com/adavisus/pondering/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/

gator and goose.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Sorry for your loss

Herons will come very close to your house. I had one come by last year a few times and it is about 15 ft from my deck. My dogs where a big deterrent for it, when I open the door they always run off the deck and the heron did not like that to much. So far no herons this year, I see them all the time flying over. I have a large pond across the street so that helps. As far as being bold go to Florida sometimes, they will come right up to you, Shark Valley tourist area they get very close to you and the alligators without much of a problem. I was sitting outside by the pond last year and the heron landed and saw me and then flew up into the tree in my yard and stayed there for hours hoping I would leave. I did not and finally the heron flew off.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They have landed on our deck right by the house, to look down at the pond. No fear, they want those fish. My wide weave net has finally stopped them. They now just fly over our pond looking down.

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
There was a story on our local news about a court house that used life sized cutouts of dogs that moved in the wind to deter geese. They moved them around periodically. I wonder if this would work for herons.

Reaction score
Dang Haron! I've seen them fly over our property before, probably heading toward the marsh area near here. Luckily have not seen any looking my way or stopping. My pond is mostly covered by two large maples, leaves are a pain sometimes but worth it I think. Sorry bout your loss. JW just put up a net over her area too, the wide weave doesn't look bad, can barely see it really. Good luck!

Ask a Question