Sad Story

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
I found some baby fry ( you call all baby fish that right? correct me if I am wrong please) in my pond 3 days ago. I had just won a 4" butterfly koi the day before so there was no chance of them belonging to the koi (both to small and not in there nearly long enough). I had 4 goldfish ranging from about 6 to 9 inches in there and 3 misquito eaters or minos ( I will refer to as ME from here on out) that I put in the pond at its start to keep the misquito larva in check. I was planning to remove the ME ( prior to the discovery of the fry and so more ME wasn't something I was really interested in. Not knowing how to tell if they were goldfish or ME I decided to seperate them until I could know. I had a second skippy filter that I had plumbed in but hadn't put and filter media in yet so I converted it into a holding tank. I put some fine mesh over the out feed on the filter so that the fry wouldn't get out (Que the scary music). I figured I would have to clean it off regularly but it clogged much faster then I thought. I cleaned it before I went to sleep but it clogged durring the night and over flowed over the top of the skippy. I didn't have that filter withing the liner boundry so it drained out my 350 gallon pond to the point I had about 30 to 40 gallons left and my pump couldn't cerculate anything. The fry must have flowed out with the water. I caught my goldfish and put them into a large tote. I caught my koi and put her into a five gallon bucket. I put some water plants ontop of both for shade. I then filled my pond up with my hose and started to circulate the water through everything except my filter. I planned to put my fish back in the next day when the chlorine was gone and I could put my filter back on. My friend across the street brought me 3 more goldfish that night (he gave me the 4 and wanted to thin out his pond a little more). The fish that I already had despite the pond mishap seemed to be doing really well so he added them to the tote with the four. When I woke up I went to check on the fish and found 6 of the 7 goldfish belly up. The last gold fish wasn't doing very good and the koi didn't look that great either. I put both fish back into the pond and the good news is that it is now 2 days later and they seem to be doing pretty good but they are not that active. I think that the plants I had in the tote at night removed all the oxegen. I no longer have the ME anywere that I know of either.
On a brighter note: Yesterday I heard about someone giving away Koi on craigslist. So in the morning i used a new trashcan and a five gallon bucked to create a quarintine tank with a small skippy filter. I went and picked up 2 koi about 4" long and 3 small ones at about 1". I put them into the quaritine tank and well be watching them for 14 days to make sure everything is okey with them before I add them to my pond. Any suggestions for me at this point to make sure that I don't run into anymore issues or heaven forbid any more deaths?

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
These are the new 4-5" Koi I got, can anyone help me with the names of the patterns they have?

This is Pick-A-Boo
NewKoi003.jpg

This is Sniper
NewKoi010.jpg

Reaction score
I guess the top one is a sanke of sorts (though quite mutt-ish) and the second one is a mutt. The second one is likely to change a lot more in coloration than the first one over time.

Both are pretty pedestrian koi. Lots of us have these beloved mutts in our ponds...but they're nothing to write home about as far as quality koi are concerned. But we love 'em just the same.

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
thanks, all the fish seem to be doing good. I am interested in seeing what the 3 small koi come out looking like. Once these are out of quarintine I will probably get some more fry form someone I know with some platnum butterfly offspring.

Ask a Question