Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I hate to come bearing only bad news and I am not sure how many people are fans of the rescue and remember the turtles but the oldest retired female who was in the sanctuary named Shelly died sometime last night so bittersweet really since considering how neglected and abused she was when we got her I am surprised she was able to last this long but we gave her a very comfortable last few years of life so she died happy I hope. Thanks again to all who are fans and who support our cause in anyway at all. I appreciate it and the turtles do too. I will be doing a "turtle family tree" soon for all the hatchlings of the recent clutch and so that should be a happier note but until then just wanted to update even with the info being sad I consider this site and the members special and so you all are the first to know.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Marshall ... sorry to hear of Shelley's death. Before I owned pets, I never understood how anyone could become emotionally involved with an animal or mourn their death. Need I say, I was ignorant then. I am sure you are feeling a great loss, but are comforted in knowing you gave her a good life in her last years. I applaud you, and I keep you in my thoughts for the good work you do. Keep on doing what you do...our Lord takes note of your efforts for his innocent and unprotected ones.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
@Marshall ... sorry to hear of Shelley's death. Before I owned pets, I never understood how anyone could become emotionally involved with an animal or mourn their death. Need I say, I was ignorant then. I am sure you are feeling a great loss, but are comforted in knowing you gave her a good life in her last years. I applaud you, and I keep you in my thoughts for the good work you do. Keep on doing what you do...our Lord takes note of your efforts for his innocent and unprotected ones.
Thank you for the kind words. It truly is a labor of love and has been quite the challenge over the past few years but nothing is better than other people who believe in the cause supporting us in anyway such as words of support. As you mentioned we do get attached to these creatures and I believe that is where the determination to carry on is from and I will for sure keep going because we still have approx 28 others in the rescue at large not including the hatchlings from the Map turtles so they will be a hit I can guarantee. People always love to see the little hatchlings and although we legally can't adopt them out if they are under 4 inches people can pick a hatchling out and we will mark it and allow them to adopt the exact one when it comes of the right size granted it is healthy and survives if first few months of life but with our attention to detail and maintained environment we have a close to 95% survival rate for hatchlings where most bulk pet suppliers are closer to something around 45 to 50 % for captive turtles

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
So sorry Marshall...

It's never easy :(
I know and I am still amazed at how much I remember my betta and koi who have passed. They really do become like family especially the Beta since they are so close to us in our homes or offices and we see them everyday. Thank you for the reply :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you for the kind words. It truly is a labor of love and has been quite the challenge over the past few years but nothing is better than other people who believe in the cause supporting us in anyway such as words of support. As you mentioned we do get attached to these creatures and I believe that is where the determination to carry on is from and I will for sure keep going because we still have approx 28 others in the rescue at large not including the hatchlings from the Map turtles so they will be a hit I can guarantee. People always love to see the little hatchlings and although we legally can't adopt them out if they are under 4 inches people can pick a hatchling out and we will mark it and allow them to adopt the exact one when it comes of the right size granted it is healthy and survives if first few months of life but with our attention to detail and maintained environment we have a close to 95% survival rate for hatchlings where most bulk pet suppliers are closer to something around 45 to 50 % for captive turtles

Sad to hear but in same course great work on the rescue and rehoming.

I just had a to rehome a box turtle to a sanctuary that had what appeared to be a ear infection and recent shell damage.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Sad to hear but in same course great work on the rescue and rehoming.

I just had a to rehome a box turtle to a sanctuary that had what appeared to be a ear infection and recent shell damage.
Thank you and shell injuries are one of the injuries we get a lot more of than one might expect. We or rather I designed a system to repair shells and thankfully we are successful with it although Box turtles do seem to do better with that injury than an aquatic one since it is very hard to keep their water portion of the habitat free of bacteria but it is possible just very tough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you and shell injuries are one of the injuries we get a lot more of than one might expect. We or rather I designed a system to repair shells and thankfully we are successful with it although Box turtles do seem to do better with that injury than an aquatic one since it is very hard to keep their water portion of the habitat free of bacteria but it is possible just very tough.

I dabbled with keeping it the first time he showed up but i dropped him back off near the stream where i think he came from but 2 days later and back in the pond. first time i saw the shell damage and figured let nature deal with it.as it seemed a very small chipped out sliver. but his return he had what looked like an ear infection based on a quick google. so 30 min drive and a small donation he got rehomed to a sanctuary/hospital. Also looked around the place as well bald eagles etc well made big cages etc well taken care of and some backstory on how most of the injured not releasable ones got there. Wife and i liked the place a lot and took our niece there 2 weeks later.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Awwww, I'm sorry to hear about sweet Shelley. It's always hard to think of what they endured prior to rescue, so knowing how greatly their lives were improved, is wonderful.

Ask a Question