Saddest time of the year....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, y'all, it's that time of year again. Fall-into-Winter......

Why do I call it the saddest time of the year? Because the activity level on GPF really slows down now since most folks have put their ponds to bed for the season, AND the newbies haven't started theirs up yet. IOW, no news is slow news.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's a good time to start clicking on the "Similar Threads" and accidentally revive old threads. Hey you posted this same sad story in 2013 and 2015! :D

You are a couple weeks earlier this year. I hope the ice doesn't follow suit!
Am I early this year? Darn, I thought I was right on time! Oh, and did I leave out a year in 2014? There must have been something else going on that fall, LOL! Yeah, I tend to go through "ponding social media withdrawal." Maybe it's because our leaves are already starting to fall, which is early for Louisiana. Good catch, DeepWater!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
On another forum, they do stuff like holiday card exchanges and holiday ornament exchanges. Not sure we have enough active members who would be willing to participate in something like that, but it's fun.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
It's still 80s in the am here.... So I got time to fatten these fish more. It's not too late.

I spotted 1 fry in the bog maybe i can save it before it freezes to death... doubtful, its skilled at hiding.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
We'll probably be seeing some questions how to prepare for winter.
Reduce organic matter accumulation as much as possible, check the KH level and make sure the pond has an adequate setup for maximum gas exchange throughout the winter period.
I recommend if using the API test kit that the KH reading be at least 8 drops/150ppm.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
On another forum, they do stuff like holiday card exchanges and holiday ornament exchanges. Not sure we have enough active members who would be willing to participate in something like that, but it's fun.

I certainly have some ornaments that need exchanging if not outright replacing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Well, y'all, it's that time of year again. Fall-into-Winter......

Why do I call it the saddest time of the year? Because the activity level on GPF really slows down now since most folks have put their ponds to bed for the season, AND the newbies haven't started theirs up yet. IOW, no news is slow news.
Maybe I can update y'all every day on my digging. The way I fall down and fall in, it's sure to be exciting!!!! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
And speaking of all that, Turtle Mommy, since you are down here in God's sauna also: do you just leave everything up and running through the winter, for the most part? I know my digging and rocking will take a couple of months at least. Do I go ahead and get the pond running and cycling through November and beyond? Should I hold off? I think we are expecting a mild winter. Even in our crazy Snowmageddon winters (for Northerners, know that down south, this can mean one day of actual snow and/or ice) my neighbor's pond only turned into a water sculpture once -- till the sunshine melted it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It was 90 here yesterday and I was at the beach, too early for the sad song! :( But this means I need to get my butt in gear and get my netting ready huh? I'm trying something new this year that I've never seen anyone else do (probably for good reasons though! lol) and I'll keep everyone updated on that.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
And speaking of all that, Turtle Mommy, since you are down here in God's sauna also: do you just leave everything up and running through the winter, for the most part? I know my digging and rocking will take a couple of months at least. Do I go ahead and get the pond running and cycling through November and beyond? Should I hold off? I think we are expecting a mild winter. Even in our crazy Snowmageddon winters (for Northerners, know that down south, this can mean one day of actual snow and/or ice) my neighbor's pond only turned into a water sculpture once -- till the sunshine melted it.
I don't turn anything off. Or at least I haven't so far.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
WHAT IS WITH YOU PEOPLE AND THE WINTER TALK? WAAAAAHHHHHH!

I just told my husband today I'm not ready to say goodbye to summer yet!
I am soooo ready for the end of summer. But here, it goes on and on. Maybe if I were back up near you, I wouldn't be so eager to say goodbye to the summer heat! ;)

Ask a Question