addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We never realized our bees would take the amount of work they do. It has slowed down some, but now we are on the monitoring to make sure they have enough capped honey for the winter. Making fondant for winter feed, treating for mites. Then IF we have a cold fall winter, they will go to cluster, if not we have to feed them through the winter. Like last winter.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
It can be sad time of the year, but it is also a good time to get yard projects done as days are not too hot and bugs have died back. We have to winter break or the bugs would take over.
Time to get out Happy Halloween pumpkins and décorations for Thanks Giving. ... Also soon time to party like never before when Donald Trump is President!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
I love everything about fall, and it's just starting here in the Pacific Northwest. Leaves are just starting to turn, but we are still reaching upper 60's and even low 70's some days. But I love love love those cool mornings and evenings! I'm only feeding the koi once per day now. But this year I started a fancy goldfish aquarium inside the house, so I'll have some fat, active little dudes to entertain me all winter!

I will also admit, while I get GREAT pleasure from interacting with the koi all spring and summer, and watching then grow, I do enjoy a break from the nonstop cleaning and maintenance when winter rolls around. I like seeing them hibernating peaceful at the bottom of the pond, and I still say hi to them every day!

On the happy side... tis the season for roasting, chilis, soups, and all those other incredibly comforting winter meals.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Am I missing something? My water temp is 78F. There's still time to fatten these fish up a bit more. Last year being mild, I didn't drain my bead filter until late November. My pool is still open. What's the rush?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think some of you are misunderstanding what I mean by the title of this thread. It has nothing to do with a preference for the season.-- I don't mean that AUTUMN is a sad time of year -- I love the fall. What I mean is that as ponds are starting to go dormant for the seasons, the activity level on GPF slows down gets quieter, not as much activity, not as many posts. It's sad because there aren't as many people posting/responding to posts.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It makes the monitors job a lot easier..................lol not that you all need that much monitoring! :);)
Oh, Addy, you are too funny! And @Becky, too, for "liking!"

And @Marshall, our "resident potential trouble maker," here's a greeting in your honor...
image.jpeg

Ask a Question