Safe paint or stain

Reaction score
Hello,

I currently have a kidney shaped pond about 140gl, I'm going to add and elevated pond next to it that will waterfall into it. I am also building a 4ft tall replica flour mill with working wheel that will be the center piece of the new pond. My question is the plans call for the base to be made out of pressure treated wood, I know that wont work. I was thinking of using non treated lumber and paint/stain and seal it with fish safe material to keep it from rotting so fast. Is there such paint and sealer. Keep in mind the will be sitting in the water of the pond.

or

I will gladly accept other base recommendations.

Thank you.

Bob

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. Cypress actually sounds nice. Now I have to find it. Correction to my fist post, my pond is 1400 gal not 140. Thanks again.

Reaction score
here's my thought: whatever wood you use, it's eventually going to rot. trust me, i've tried wooden waterwheel bases and all that jazz, and wood just never works out underwater. so now, whenever i'm putting something in the middle of my pond(s), i normally use cinder blocks. i have four pieces of slate in the middle of my big pond being held up by two cinder blocks-my koi absolutely LOVE them for shade and shelter (plus it's super cool when kids ask me how i got the rocks to "float"). the cinderblocks will release bubbles for a while, but eventually they'll get settled in and be an awesome base. hope that helps! :icon_smile:

Ask a Question