Safe PVC Fish Pond Paint

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looking for a paint to redo my above ground PVC Fish Pond, that is fish safe, any thoughts, Mfg. Krylon said they don't have any studies to prove it is safe, and do not recommend it. Any thoughts out there.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Looking for a paint to redo my above ground PVC Fish Pond, that is fish safe, any thoughts, Mfg. Krylon said they don't have any studies to prove it is safe, and do not recommend it. Any thoughts out there.

Look into Pond Armor after first determining what in fact, your pond is actually made from.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
First, the coating used must be developed/designed for underwater application.

Secondly, the surface that this coating will be applied to must be properly prepared or adhesion will be faulty. This is usually accomplished by either an acid wash or grinding....sometimes both. All vestiges of periphyton growth on the original surface must be completely removed or the application will fail.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Look into Pond Armor after first determining what in fact, your pond is actually made from.
Thank you, just don't want to lose my Goldfish ( 12+ Inch long ). Just want get rid of the stains in the pond ( tan color ).

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't think much works on those preformed ponds because they flex so much and heave in spring and fall .I have several of them that I have taken out for realtors and even the flex seal does not work on them .I have given several away to people who just want a water feature for there yard and use them like a pondless feature

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think the stain is the good muck and being that the liner is tan color it looks worse to a point .But the fish love it and it is good stuff and no liner should ever look like it does when you first put it in .I saw one on you tube complaining about his white liner in his pond looked dirty .My black liner is a mucky shade of green and brown ,doesn't bother me ,it just means the pond is healthy .I am not sure what these preforms are ,I thought some type of plastic .I even had one to start with until my front porch was built and I was always trying to get it level every spring ,even with sand on the bottom and sides before I put the liner in .

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think the stain is the good muck and being that the liner is tan color it looks worse to a point .But the fish love it and it is good stuff and no liner should ever look like it does when you first put it in .I saw one on you tube complaining about his white liner in his pond looked dirty .My black liner is a mucky shade of green and brown ,doesn't bother me ,it just means the pond is healthy .I am not sure what these preforms are ,I thought some type of plastic .I even had one to start with until my front porch was built and I was always trying to get it level every spring ,even with sand on the bottom and sides before I put the liner in .
Thank you, guess I'll just leave it alone as for painting, & just scrub it down the next time I drain it. Charlie B.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think much works on those preformed ponds because they flex so much and heave in spring and fall .I have several of them that I have taken out for realtors and even the flex seal does not work on them .I have given several away to people who just want a water feature for there yard and use them like a pondless feature
Have had this pond for 3 / 4 years, never had a problem with it, of course my patio is AC in the summer & heated in the winter, also have a lot of Hanging Orchids over top of the pond as well as a 2 x 4 sky light over the pond, fish really like the sun lite ! It has turned out to be a real conversation piece when we have guests over. Thanks again, Charlie B.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you use a little peroxide when cleaning it ,it will help and is not harmful to the fish .I use it too clean my rocks on the water fall .

Ask a Question