Safe to add to main pond yet?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I had trouble with some newly acquired fish, documented HERE. Most likely some sort of parasite, costia a good possibility. Lost several fish, only 3 survived out of 10. Added salt and stopped all water changes and it has now been 4 weeks with no deaths (last one was right before mentioned changes), total QT time 7 weeks. I think they are ready for the big pond now but I am still a little concerned. If it was parasites would they all be dead now without a host? I know costia dies within hours without a host but considering I've never even heard of that parasite before this outbreak I am wondering what other parasites there are and if most would be dead without a host at this point too?

Also I have several plants, some potted and some floating, in the QT pond. The safest bet is to just toss them right? I hate to do that but it seems like the smart move.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Aw i read your previous post , sorry for this tragedy , iknow feels like lost family when my fish dies , ihad many shubunkins too bred in my pond iknoe some disseases or parasites are brutal you get confused what it is , and untill u treat them with several ways they r dead few , happened once i was treating for viral , in end found its bacterial and immediately recovered after antibiotics
Did you dryed out your pond once after parasites?ws it in biger pond or just in fishes , ithink if they survived 4 weeks and looks normal active they must b clean

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@myswtsins If you have access to a microscope, I would say do a scrape and see if you find parasites. There's really no way to guess or for us to tell you they are disease-free just because they were in QT for a period of time. It sounds like you weren't sure what was wrong in the first place (I haven't read your initial post). And I would toss the plants if it was me....just to be safe & sure.

@Dave 54 Do you have any advice to add?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It is important to understand that the goal should be to maintain the highest degree of health in your fish as possible. Healthy fish do not experience major parasite issues.
Aquatic pathogens, especially parasites, are ubiquitous to all ponds. They are all opportunistic and prey on the weak. If you maintain optimum water quality and a stress-free environment for the fish you will not likely have any issues in the future.
It is impossible to maintain a sterile environment in a pond and, ironically, attempts to do so may actually impair the immune system of your fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thanks for your replies. The main pond is very healthy, certainly not sterile and water parameters are near perfect (no ammonia, nitrite or nitrates, normal ph, kh and gh and about 200 TDS). Hence why I am nervous about adding the new guys from the QT pond. ;)

I will catch them on Friday and scrap them, my microscope only has a few strengths but I'll try it out.

Ask a Question