Safe to use with Koi & Sterlets???

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've a tiny touch of white spot one one or two goldfish, and one of my goldfish has a lumped scale with the tail of something trailing... is this Fluke or Parrasite???

I only have a couple of goldfish that have any appearence of problems, all the other fish are fine.

I usually use Medifin both to treat anything I see and general health for pond, BUT, I don't like adding chemicals in my pond and only give it one or two treatments a year unless I see issues.

I went to get Medifin but the local place I went to today didn't sell it...... they sell the Imterpet/Blagdon range. I got a bottle of the Anti Parasite as the bottle AND the owner of the shop stated it is safe for use with ALL pond fish . plants, filters etc....

BUT, upon chacking a Sturgeon/Sterlet site they say stay away from certain things.. one of which is Formaldehyde, of which is an ingredient of the Anti Parasite I bought!!!!

So.. should I use it or not??

I've always noted that the Tetra Medifin seemd to cover all bases and is a weekly does as apossed to the Interpet range which has different poducts for deifferent deseases and is a 7 day corse, so I've always looked upon the Medifin being somewhat weaker......... does this make sense??

It's a fairly natural pond with plantlife and wildlife etc. Nice clear water with no Green Death!! ;-) I use two Bioforce 9000 in parrallel, both with 9w UV's.

4 Air stones running all the time.

Any help or advice will be appreciated.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Stroppy!!

Yss, I do have a tub.... it's actually a water tank used in the a loft for a cold water tank.

I've considered it and may do it, but I've never had too much luck with this process in the past.

Also..... if I can't use the Interpet, but can use the Medifin, then I'd rather leave the fish in the pond and treat the pond, for 2 reasons...

1. The pond will have any desease removed too

2. The interpet is in reality nearly 4 times the price so it would seem silly to spend £20 on treatment that I couild only use in a tank outside my pond

BUT...... I reckon this may be the way to go if the other fish are fine.

Cheers for your advice buddy.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
its always better and cheaper to medicate 1 or 2 fish individually in a seperate "hospital tank" than treating a whole pond. much easier to monitor them as well during their recovery...

Reaction score
Hi Koiguy,

Cheers for your message, and yes. I understand and agree.

I've just never had a huge problem with desease in my pond, but never had much luck when I have and tried to have a hospital tank.

Should I have it filtered and air running? If so then I've not got the extra equipment in place currently.

How long would you think it should take to clear the fish up?

Even if I do this.. should I still treat my pond with a treatment that will not harm my Sterlets?

Getting back to the real question..............

Can I use the Interpet/Blagdon treatment in my pond that has 2 Sterlets???

If not....... what is recommended?

Dave.

Ask a Question