Safest way to use leaf netting

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
We are hoping to avoid the avalanche of tree leaves that usually fall into our pond every year so I bought a 28'x28' net with small 3/8" openings. Got such a large size net so it could be trimmed smaller and got the 3/8" openings to capture the small spiny Cypress tree leaves. Leaves literally cover our pond like a heavy snow fall.

A naturalist friend warned me about the danger of trapping birds and animals coming to the pond to drink. I absolutely do not want to harm any of our wildlife friends. One way I thought of safely putting out the net was to trim it to the approximate shape of the pond then attach small blocks of foam so it would stay on top of the water. To keep the net in its proper place each foam block would have a attached fishing line with attached fishing weight.

What do you think of this idea? Please give me your ideas and comments.

Thanks,

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I gave up on pond netting or bird netting and use window screening .But with the netting you just need to pull it really tight over the pond .I used rebar I pounded into the ground all around the pond and then pulled the netting out and made sure it was stretched to it's fullest so there was no give in it .The rebar was the best for this as it is small enough and sturdy enough and netting holes fit right over it .It was also cheap and it is best to put the netting over each piece of rebar a couple of times .I folded the edges and put 3 or 4 holes of the net over the rebar .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Tent stakes work good for holding the netting down. You can buy spare stakes at almost any outdoor store or sporting goods store. Also check your local Army/Navy surplus store as well as well as deals on ebay and the internet.

I'd be careful of cutting the netting. Usually the netting has a seamed edge or binding around the edges. Once you cut that, I think you'll find the netting will tear and rip a lot easier. I'd suggest rolling the netting up around the edges and then using plastic wire ties around it to keep it as a solid roll. Then you can slide the stakes between the wire tie and netting and hammer then into the ground. If you need to, you can loop some garden wire, (the plastic coated green wire often used to tie up plants to stakes), around the rolled nettting and then loop the wire to the stake.

If you can find a way to put the net on so that it has some type of slope to it, rather than being flat, it will help keep the leaves off it and allow you use a light broom to "sweep" them off the net if they begin to pile up. Thsi can be done by using some upsidedown pots stacked up in a shallow part of the pond. Or some light aircraft cable strung across the pond between two posts.

I've never had a problem with wildlife being trapped in our netting. But we do leave a small section propped up to allow the frogs to exit the pond and go into the garden to hunt. But by mid Nov we close that up too as the frogs are usually hibernating by then.

Craig

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can use a shop vac also just put the hose on the other end and blow the leaves off .I originally had mine with bird netting and used electrical conduit with it longer than it should be and put on rebar pounded in the ground and then tied them together like they do over veggie rows to protect them .You can even buy that cloth and sew pockets in it to slide the pipe through to hold it all upright .This way you have an arched top

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You can use a shop vac also just put the hose on the other end and blow the leaves off .I originally had mine with bird netting and used electrical conduit with it longer than it should be and put on rebar pounded in the ground and then tied them together like they do over veggie rows to protect them .You can even buy that cloth and sew pockets in it to slide the pipe through to hold it all upright .This way you have an arched top

I would think for smaller ponds, some of the tent fiberglass poles would work well in place of the electrical conduit. Those poles can be 12' or longer and are highly flexible and can be folded up easily for storage. But I imagine the shock cord in them woudl fail after about 2-3 yrs of being out all winter. But probably easily to replace with yard sale tents.

Craig

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I found my extra covers at one of the salvation army stores for 5 dollars .I even found a pond weir at one last week back in NJ for 10 dollars and there was hoses and a pump in it also .I checked the pump today and it works .

Ask a Question