Sagittaria montevidensis yellow leaves

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hi,
just a month ago i bought this plant and put it in a 15 inch pot with some pellet manure. Water level is 4 inch above the crown, the plant is placed in full sun.

It's actually growing quite fast but the leaves are pale green/yellow and there are black spots where they rip easly.

Can someone identify the issue?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210522_180641.jpg
    20210522_180641.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210522_180624.jpg
    20210522_180624.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210522_180616.jpg
    20210522_180616.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 37
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
It looks like it has veinal chlorosis (where the veins turn yellow while the rest of the leaf is still green) which can be quite serious. Root damage is one cause. How much manure did you use and what else is in the pot?

Reaction score
Country
Italy
It looks like it has veinal chlorosis (where the veins turn yellow while the rest of the leaf is still green) which can be quite serious. Root damage is one cause. How much manure did you use and what else is in the pot?

I used soil from my lawn, it contains a good amount of clay. Water lilies do fine in it.
I put a handfull of manure pellet few inches from the bottom of the pot and nothing else.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I used soil from my lawn, it contains a good amount of clay. Water lilies do fine in it.
I put a handfull of manure pellet few inches from the bottom of the pot and nothing else.
just as a future reference; especially for water lilies, I like to use Osmocote as it's a slow release fertilizer. Manure tends to be hotter and imo, I'd not use it for that reason, though your experience with it might be better. Also, a lot of us like to use plain, UNSCENTED, kitty litter for our plant substrate. You can also use just pea gravel. Both of the latter don't muck up the water and allows the pond water to be used as your fertilizer and plant support.

Reaction score
Country
Italy
just as a future reference; especially for water lilies, I like to use Osmocote as it's a slow release fertilizer. Manure tends to be hotter and imo, I'd not use it for that reason, though your experience with it might be better. Also, a lot of us like to use plain, UNSCENTED, kitty litter for our plant substrate. You can also use just pea gravel. Both of the latter don't muck up the water and allows the pond water to be used as your fertilizer and plant support.
I did know that osmocote was a popular choice for water lilies and i was already determined to experiment with it next year. The guy from the plant nursery where i bought my first lilies said he only uses manure to grow them so i always did so. If you buy online from him he even sends some to you in a plastic bag :).

I've never eared about using inhert substrates for lilies, that's interesting. Thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you have fishnid not give manner to fertilize tge plants the fish will do that for you

Reaction score
Country
Italy

If you look at photos of healty plants you can see that its veins are often kind of yellow, so that might be misleading.
Considering it keeps growing i'm more thinking of an iron deficency. Manure is supposed to have some so that would still be odd.

I remembered i had an iron test that came with a kit i bought 3 years ago and according to that my water does have low levels of iron ( or the test is not good anymore ). It gives me <0.02 mg/l and recommends between 0.05 and 0.1.

I think i will just wait a little longer to see if it gets better, if the plant is still going but stays pale i will consider adding iron. What do you think?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If you think it's an iron deficiency you can take a small ball of steel wool, maybe about the size of a quarter and stick it down under the soil near the plants roots and just leave it there and it might help. I used to do that w/my water lilies.

Reaction score
Country
Italy
If you think it's an iron deficiency you can take a small ball of steel wool, maybe about the size of a quarter and stick it down under the soil near the plants roots and just leave it there and it might help. I used to do that w/my water lilies.
Yes, i can do something like that. In the end, even if the real problem ends up be overfertilzation, it shouldn't do any worse.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States

If you look at photos of healty plants you can see that its veins are often kind of yellow, so that might be misleading.
Considering it keeps growing i'm more thinking of an iron deficency. Manure is supposed to have some so that would still be odd.

Good point. I've not seen this plant in person, just did a quick google search to see other photos of it, not comprehensive.

Ask a Question