Salamanders

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Hello

I’m wondering if any one knows how to encourage salamanders to lay eggs in a pond. My area has plenty of frogs, but over the past few years there has been a decline in salamanders. I assume that this is because they are unable to reach vernal pools, because of roads, lack of love for salamanders, and ponds being stocked with fish. Does anyone know how to encourage salamanders to breed?

Thanks!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
They need easy access. Easy in, easy out. Gradual slopes. Obviously, as you implied, you wont want to add any fish. Keep the water healthy. You may consider using a bog filter like myself or @addy1 .

Ultimately, the habitat surrounding your pond is what will attract them to your area. They need logs, partially rotted is best, but all logs will provide cover for them and rot eventually. They also like leaves, so if you can, place some leaf piles in the area. You can put sticks or branches on top of the piles to limit them from blowing around. Make the area as natural as you can. Plant native plants around the area to further replicate their natural habitat.

But, for sure, placing logs and leaves around is the best suggestion I can make, particularly in shady areas. Salamanders love woodlands. They like the moisture and shade. Every spring and fall I go to areas that have salamander populations and flip logs to find and photograph them.

IMG_1724 copy.jpg

IMG_5003 copy.jpg

DSCN7251 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I ADORE salamanders! One year, we had a ton of the black ones with gold metallic spots. They are really neat little creatures!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I ADORE salamanders! One year, we had a ton of the black ones with gold metallic spots. They are really neat little creatures!

I've planned autumn camping trips just to to photograph them! It's been a few years now, so it's definitely time to do that again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I've planned autumn camping trips just to to photograph them! It's been a few years now, so it's definitely time to do that again.
I'm sure you've been to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park! I think they have a huge and diverse population of salamanders!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
You need to get down to Tennessee! I got my love of salamanders from vacationing there as a child and doing all the little kid educational programs with park rangers. I always dreamed of seeing a Hellbender - but didn't. They might be a wee tad too big and extra super slimy anyway! But seriously, if you are a nature photographer and are up for a really nice road trip, that is a beautiful place to go. A very special national park!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
They need easy access. Easy in, easy out. Gradual slopes. Obviously, as you implied, you wont want to add any fish. Keep the water healthy. You may consider using a bog filter like myself or @addy1 .

Ultimately, the habitat surrounding your pond is what will attract them to your area. They need logs, partially rotted is best, but all logs will provide cover for them and rot eventually. They also like leaves, so if you can, place some leaf piles in the area. You can put sticks or branches on top of the piles to limit them from blowing around. Make the area as natural as you can. Plant native plants around the area to further replicate their natural habitat.

But, for sure, placing logs and leaves around is the best suggestion I can make, particularly in shady areas. Salamanders love woodlands. They like the moisture and shade. Every spring and fall I go to areas that have salamander populations and flip logs to find and photograph them.

View attachment 109469
View attachment 109470

View attachment 109471
Thank

View attachment 109469
View attachment 109470

View attachment 109471

Hello

In my area there are spotted, tiger, and Jefferson salamders. I don’t know if it makes a difference, but if it does, could you let me know?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I remember as a kid, me and my pals found a tiny little pond(maybe 10’x10’) in the middle of an old abandoned orchard chock full of frogs, tadpoles, and salamander larvae-in particular spotted salamander larvae. So the pond doesn’t have to be particularly large but it was completely surrounded by tall grass and weeds.

Ask a Question