salt content

Reaction score
Ok, just an idea......
In the saltwater hobby, I transition guppies to saltwater to produce babies that feed my saltwater fish, I know kind of inhumane.
This is my question on fresh water I have tried ff/ ccff with zero success and was wondering if I changed up the salt content (slowly) if I could get the suspension that freshwater lacks to get the foam?
Work with me here, even the bacteria that effect the fish in this hobby y wold be gone too because of the sg.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Ok, just an idea......
In the saltwater hobby, I transition guppies to saltwater to produce babies that feed my saltwater fish, I know kind of inhumane.
This is my question on fresh water I have tried ff/ ccff with zero success and was wondering if I changed up the salt content (slowly) if I could get the suspension that freshwater lacks to get the foam?
Work with me here, even the bacteria that effect the fish in this hobby y wold be gone too because of the sg.

Freshwater has suspension, just not much of it which is why freshwater fractionator devices are required to be quite large so to work on many ponds. The only way the typically large saltwater fractionators will work in freshwater is if it is coupled with ozone injection.

Salinity increase does significantly reduces water's surface tension, thus increasing the stability of foam creation, which is the main reason why these fractionators work so well for saltwater aquariums.

You can do an overdose of Amquel or Ammo-Lock, that is less than 10x the dosage, to significantly increase the surface tension without any ill effects on the pond's ecosystem nor fish.

Personally, I would not increase salinity to improve fractionation and, anytime I mention salinity, I reference the thread, "How much salt is safe/too much?".

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Please keep this thread civil, no reason to attack each other.

edit (Ian): I've removed the useless posts - please heed addy1's warning

Ask a Question