Salt Meter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
First of all this isn’t a to add/not add salt debate. So please keep those comments to yourself. Can anyone explain to me how I figure out what percentage of salt I have in my pond? The meter I bought shows 126 ppm. How do I convert that to a percentage? I have a 2186 gallon pond. I’d also like to know what is the best percentage to be at without hurting my water hyacinth & lillies. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
or you could try 1 grain of salt at a time until you reach the desired level

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well since the recommendation it up to 2.5 pounds per 100 gallons to get to .25%, she might be at it for a looooong time!

I mean essentially it's between 7.5 and 8 times more to get from .0126 to .1. But without knowing what got you to where you are it's hard to say how much more.

Or you could figure it as 1 pound per 100 gallons is .1%, so you need a total of 21 lbs for your 2100 gallon pond - assuming measurements are correct. So if you know what you already added you'd have a starting point.

And please - I am definitely not a pond salt expert OR a math whiz... just using the old calculator here!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
haha. Math. Errrrr....

Any idea how many cups or pounds you've added?

I added 15 cups of salt but that was about a month ago and I do partial water change every week. Probably about 10-20% pumped out on the water change.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh boy. I think the best you can do is just start adding and testing until you hit your number. Not knowing what your purpose is, that's the best I can recommend. 4 cups to a pound - you could add UP TO 84 cups. The math just got a tad too much for me! And if you keep doing water changes, I don't know how you'll maintain that salt level.

Where do you dump your water when you change it?

Ask a Question