Salt Meter

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Wohow, for a minute there I thought I read, salt peter. I was told they out that stuff in our food in boot camp. I'm sure it's not true.

Sorry for getting off track. I have seven shubunkins in a 365 gallon pond. Should I be using salt in my pond? I haven't been so far. If I should be, could you explain why? Maybe I should be using a salt meter also.

Happy ponding,:banana:

Reaction score
oldmarine, don't just use salt for the sake of using salt. You should use it with purpose (i.e., illness, etc). There is evidence that much like a antibiotic, if you keep salted all the time, that parasites and bacteria can become immune to salt. And then when you really need to use, it won't be as effective.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Salt is handy for new pond syndrome. When the bacteria in the filter begin to colonize and break down ammonia, it is converted to nitrite. Nitrite is equally dangerous to koi and is also eventually removed by filter bacteria.
Salt is effective in this situation to counteract the effects of nitrite on koi till the filters can take care of it.
I do use it in my QT. It's great for popeye.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
If and when I would need to add a salt content to my pond, providing I had a 'salt meter' what would be the proper relative gravity of salt should be aiming for?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yep.. salt helps neutralise nitrites as they are absorbed into the fishes bloodstream, preventing brown blood disease (nitrite poioning).. helps control alge, helps maintain a healthy stress coat which helps protect from parasites, i maintain a .1 to .15% outdoors a little higher indoors. any higher outdoors will play havoc on plants. i can only atest to the results ive experienced. i have yet to lose a fish to parasites or disease; just the ones to a heron. my freinds have had the same results for 7+ years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Koi Medic Salt Meter $69.95 shipped.
Check online to see if this is a good deal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
By the way there were 3 but one sold and one maybe. I can get more the first of January.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know of no one that uses seachem equilibrium in their pond and if they do they are spending quit a bit of money. That product is specifically designed to establish the ideal mineral content for the planted aquarium.
Big Red said:
Don't know much..yet, which is why I often ask questions, but I saw this link on the Koi Medic Salt Meter and figured i'd provide the link and you all can make of it what you will.

http://www.mombu.com/aquarium/aquar...meter-fails-miserably-freshwater-1142797.html

Ask a Question