salt question

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
My dealer called me today with a question I could use some of help with. He has a customer that has a koi only pond. He has a water softener system for his home. The customer wants to know if the Water softening salt pellets will work in his pond. The pellets he gets are from tractor Supply, they come in a yellow 40# bag and say that they are 98.5% pure salt. Our question is will this be safe for fish and will it actually soften the water if not used in the sofener system. Any input would be appreciated.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yea, he just has a pallet of this in his garage. (Over 2000#!! LOL) Told me I could come by and get a bag or two if I wanted them and could find a answer. I told them don't use until I could find out with certainty. I think I'm going to put a few in a conatiner with a pump and water and monitor the PH and hardness for a few days before I tell him a answer. Something keeps telling me WATER SOFTENER TABLETS, might want to verify with a test instead of assuming. Assume= (Makes a ASS out uf U and ME! ) LOL Old oilfield saying that in the back of my mind I know that I should be sure before giving advice like that. I sure would hate to know I said it would be ok and it end up killing 30+ 15-30" four anf five year old Koi. It's not like this guy is short on cash for salt!!!!! LOL Thanks for the reply!!!

Ask a Question