Salting/Liming the pond impact on plants

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Whats the consesus here? How much salt is safe in a pond for the plants?

Anyone buffer their pond with lime or salt?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I don't recomend salting a whole pond with plants at all.
Even at 1 tsp/gallon, that's about 0.1% salinity and can be fatal to some plants.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Lime is only used in earthen -bottom ponds.

Bonnie's Plants at one time had a fairly comprehensive list available on-line that listed the salt tolerances of most aquatic plants, but now it is only available if you purchase something.

You may have to look up the individual plants to find out what their salinity tolerance may be. There is this:

"Salt concentrations of 1.66% and 2.50% were toxic to Pistia stratiotes and Eichornia crassipe respectively."

Effects of salinity on growth of several aquatic macrophytes. Haller, Sutton and Barlowe

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Use PDZ horse stall refresher it is zeolite and can be used in ponds in a very fine mesh bag and kitty litter boxes .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use crushed oyster shells for buffering the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I use potassium permaganate if i see any parasites or dissease ,its a salt

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep zeolite is used and is safer than most other products .I did get a couple of bags of the bigger zeolite gravel but to be honest the bigger ones don't work as well the pdz horse stall refresher .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't recomend salting a whole pond with plants at all.
Even at 1 tsp/gallon, that's about 0.1% salinity and can be fatal to some plants.

I'm curious, not disputing anything you've said cause.."I know nothing" to quote Sgt. Schulz..lol
But..the man down the hwy. From me who has been so helpful to me, has about 6 ponds, some are primarily lilly I think, but he salts a lot! He uses a water softening salt that has been verified bt the company to be 99.9% pure. His lilies are amazin, his lotus are feet tall and his koi are enormous!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
In my view, there are 3 aquatic environments - freshwater, brackish and marine.
Koi and goldfish are freshwater fish, so they should be kept in a freshwater only environment.
Salt should only be used as as medicinal treatment in a separate container.
Some people like to use salt as a supposed preventative measure, but I see it as a measure that hides other shortcomings in the maintenance/setup of a pond.

I always try to learn what the origins are of where the fish/plants/invertebrates originate from and try to recreate that environment.

Shortcuts can be useful, but you must understand both the negative and positive aspects of the shortcut first.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I finally found it. Here is the chart from Bonnie's Plants indicating the maximum salinity tolerance of certain aquatic plants. It is very important to keep in mind that what is indicated on these charts is the level at which plant death occurs. Well before these levels are reached aquatic plants will react to elevated salinity levels with , first-reduced growth and second-cessation of growth.
Plant Salt Tolerance 1.jpg
Plant Salt Tolerance 2.jpg

Ask a Question