Salting your pond

Reaction score
I'm learning more and more that salting fish ponds is very popular. I'd like to know what everyone uses to keep track of how much salt is in their pond? :fish2:

Reaction score
i would use a refractometer...they are more accurate than a hydrometer

what it does is it uses light to determine how much salt is in the water...

Reaction score
Okay - someone is going to have to elaborate on this one for me. I know that a salt like solution has become popular for pools, but I never thought about using salt in a pond. What are the benefits? And how does it hinder planting and fish and other wildlife?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
plants can tolerate alot less salt than koi, and goldfish, but it encourages a healthy slime coat on the fish, and has medicinal purposes including parasite,bacterial, and fungal problems. although its medicinal values are best done in rubs,dips and bathes. the salinity levels are low enough not to bother critters stopping in for a drink.

Reaction score
Yeah, I've been doing salt baths on my sick fish like religously. It's a slow healing process, but alteast I'm trying to do something. I notice that it really helps with water clarity as well...or maybe cuz it's still winter...who knows:goldfish:

Reaction score
Lotus plants will not tolerate any level of salt.
I use a digital salinity meter. Runs about $90.
I buy 50lb bags of pure rock salt for $5, when available. Large bags of pure salt for water heaters is a good alternative too.

Reaction score
I disagree with bunnymp. I have a lotus plant and I use salt in my pond and my plants are thriving. I use the carton of aquarium salt at the fish stores. I follow the directions on the carton. It is such a minimal amount that it does not affect anything like salt water. It just conditions the water the same way a water softener does. That is why the fish slime coats are better and the bacteria grow better. It just makes it a better environment.

Reaction score
Like I said, follow the directions on the carton. I think it says 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons or so. It is very minimal.

Ask a Question