Sand?

Reaction score
We are thinking of making some nursery cages for the pond, that we could use for the smaller fish or newly introduced fish.
Not sure if we are going to let them float or want to sink them, but if we go with sink option, we were thinking of using sand.
Is there any particular type of sand i should use or sand i should stay away from?
This is for a fish pond with goldfish and koi in it.

thanks!

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
I absolutely do not recommend putting any type of sand on the bottom of your pond. Over time it will collect all sorts of trash, wastes and bacteria. The resolute will be muck that must be removed from your pond. The same goes for gravel and other sorts of small rock. Good luck and have fun. :)

Reaction score
jmajid,

I am not certain of what you have in mind here, but you could possibly use sand in closed PVC tubes. That would keep it contained and still weight down your structure. Just don't put free (loose) sand into your pond or tank.

Gordy

Reaction score
yes to the both of you - sorry - thats exactly what we are planning on...
a cage with screen/mesh - that we will use with pvc tubing - just need to know what kind of sand we should use - just in case it leaks into the pond... :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think, too, our questions are "why" are you wanting to use sand in these? Is it to have a substrate inside the cage? If so, that's not necessary and there's no reason [that I know of] to use a substrate inside a nursery cage. But, please explain more to us about your plans as we may still be misunderstanding your purpose -- just so we're not jumping to conclusions.

Your PVC is going to sink anyway, unless you buoy it somehow. I know there is a member on here who makes these cages and have seen her pics, but don't recall who it is. If she will see this and respond, that might help.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
YOUR TALKING ABOUT FILLING THE TUBES WITH SAND? A COUPLE HOLES DRILLED IN THE UPPER FRAME PIPES WILL ALLOW IT TO SINK.( IT WILL GIVE THE AIR SOMEWHERE TO ESCAPE). AND YOU CAN TAPE UP THE HOLES SHOULD YOU DECIDE TO HAVE IT FLOAT.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
yes to the both of you - sorry - thats exactly what we are planning on...
a cage with screen/mesh - that we will use with pvc tubing - just need to know what kind of sand we should use - just in case it leaks into the pond... :)

Regretfully, I'm afraid the tone of my reply may have been a bit harsh. I completely misunderstood your intended use of sand. Please rest assured I wish you the very best.
Lou

Reaction score
.Jmajid,

Thinking this over I believe that a "floating" cage would be better. Use larger diameter PVC pipe for the top rim of tubing and the air entrapped within it will help "float" the whole cage in the pond. Use some styrofoam blocks zip-tied to this outer ring if necessary to keep the cage totally afloat. This would make a nice "isolation" area for the fry. You wouldn't want to use it as a quarantine tank for new fish as it would obvisously not restrict any bacteria or viruses, etc. but it would be a very good separation wall to protect smaller fish from the larger ones.

Gordy

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have the pvc cages I use to hold fish for sales. Holes drilled in the pvc will let them sink or cap all open ends and I use swimming pool noodles or pipe insulation for extra flotation.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i use pipe insulation for floatation aid on pvc. its dark gray, not a bright color, and, not near the diameter of swim noodles, so it does stand out like a turd in a punchbowl. and its like $4.00 for 20'

Reaction score
lou - didnt think your reply was harsh at all! i added the confusion by not stating what i was meaning! :)

to the rest: yes, my wife is actually thinking of using the same pipe we used for the floating planter rings (per koiguys instructions and thread) - those float really well...
do i need to use cement for the pvc tubes if use that instead? or can i just "dry" fit them?
we are thinking at least a 3 to 4 ft diameter ring would work for keeping the smaller fish in one area where we can feed them and keep an eye on them without the bigger fish eating all their food... thinking of putting some kind of screen on the bottom that would stop the food from floating away and the larger hole screen that we used for planter rings for the sides...adding a floating planter or two for hiding spaces

did i forget to mention she is the creative one? :)

Reaction score
jmajid,

Dry fitting the PVC pipe and fittings should be just fine. For this project, you are not pressurizing the pipes with water or air, so as long as they fit snug together, they should never come apart. This allows you to alter your structure easily at any time. They will seat tightly and you may need a hammer to knock the fittings loose, but they won't be cemented together.

Gordy

Reaction score
thanks for all the input - we ended up using the same tube we used for the planter rings
It turned out pretty well - almost 36 inches square and 24 inches deep.
Right now it is too deep for the pond - sticks out a little in the area i want it to be placed - water level is needing topped up - have lost about 3 to 4 inches and will be topped up once i know the temps are not going to be cold again; dont want to stress fish twice!
It looked pretty huge in the house, but now its in the pond, looks just the right size.
Used screen for the bottom and the larger hole size mesh for the walls and hundreds of zip ties...
The smaller fish are already in there and seem to be adjusting well...and i can keep an eye on them :)

Ask a Question