Sarasa comets developing spots

Reaction score
Over the past couple of weeks 2 of my 1.5 year old comets are developing some kind of marking. The white/red one is developing red spots on its back, symmetrical on either side of its back. the other one which is a more darkish colour is developing the same kind of marking but black dots. Both fish are fine, feeding and growing quite big. Is this normal or do I have parasites or something?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can you get a photo? Mine seem to change colors for a while, that may be what yours are doing. If the spots are symmetrical I would be surprised if it was parasites.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It sounds like youve changed your food and the shubunkins are liking, it we have two koi of 27 years of age they constantly change depending on what we feed them.
This goes for both pellets and alternate foods ......but to be on the safe side have you any good photos of these two please , it helps us diagnose if you have a problem or not ...

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Dave 54 said:
It sounds like youve changed your food and the shubunkins are liking, it we have two koi of 27 years of age they constantly change depending on what we feed them.
This goes for both pellets and alternate foods ......but to be on the safe side have you any good photos of these two please , it helps us diagnose if you have a problem or not ...

rgrds

Dave
Its pouring down at the moment so I can't get a photo. But yes , recently I have changed from wheat-germ to a more complete diet. A mix of pellets, flakes and dried shrimp

Reaction score
Well on further examination it would appear they are not spots, just some of the scales turning a different colour , very symmetrical.
Lovely colours tbh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Well it accounts for the red shrimp is the cause by the sounds of it.
We use a few tricks in the koi world to intensify the Hi or red and the white skin of the koi.
The best I've found to bring out reds in our koi is raw king prawn cut into bits and fed to the fish, you'll soon see a difference in intensity.
To bring out a clear brilliant white, buy some dried silkworm pupea and as a treat once a week throw a handful of thenm in the pond.
Buy some montmarrilionite clay and add some to the ponds water omce a month also gives your fish much needed minerals etc

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Dave 54 said:
Well it accounts for the red shrimp is the cause by the sounds of it.
We use a few tricks in the koi world to intensify the Hi or red and the white skin of the koi.
The best I've found to bring out reds in our koi is raw king prawn cut into bits and fed to the fish, you'll soon see a difference in intensity.
To bring out a clear brilliant white, buy some dried silkworm pupea and as a treat once a week throw a handful of thenm in the pond.
Buy some montmarrilionite clay and add some to the ponds water omce a month also gives your fish much needed minerals etc

rgrds

Dave
Thanks for the advice and info Dave. Appreciated

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Not a problem ,my friend its also great fun as to seeing what extra colour comes out of your fish, it also teaches us the value of fresh products going into a feeding program if you wish to call it that.
We tend to make up a menu for a monthly feed alternating iver third day with alternates like prawn, Orange, worm etc see alternate food thread we posted :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/top...for-your-koi-and-goldfish/?hl=alternate+foods

Hope this helps you with your colour changes .

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question