Sarassa or Shubunkin goldfish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hello I would like to add a very colorful (Calico) Goldfish to my smaller 300 gallon pond to even the number of fish between ponds to 4 each pond (500 Gallon 2 Koi, 2 large Goldfish and 300 Gallon 4 Goldfish) and was wanting to know which breed would show most color in variation? Thanks, and Pics of your fish would be appreciated :) :goldfish:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I like shubunkins Jason remember you need to keep hardier variations of goldfsh outside and non of the really fancy ones which should if they are in the pond be removed indoors during the winter mind you Florida doesnt get that cold not to us Brits anyways but you natives of Florida find it so lol
I found that out Surf Canoeing in January whilst on one of my ships numerous visits to your state, the guy we talked to on the beach thought we were crazy

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So are both fish "Fancy" or will the Shubunkins be hardy enough? I have kept a Pelco in my small old pond for a winter with dying and that pond was only 11'' deep, but I gave it to a friend who needed one for his aquarium lol. Yes it does NOT get cold here (even though I like to think it is :cold: at only 34 degrees being the coldest it gets lol) and the water is tolerable since I love cold water springs!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I have Shubunkins and their color variations are much bigger for me. If you do a Google image search you will see the big difference between the 2 types, but I also mainly have Shubunkins because they are hardier in the colder climate I live in. My Shubunkins have survived the pond iced over and this year has been particularly cold.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Jason, Shubunkins and Sarassa's are equally tolerant in your zone. Sarassa is a red and white comet, Shunkin is a tricolor or blue based Comet. Shubunkins are going to do the most changing over a long period of time as they are ever changing every so slightly most of their lives, arassa's tend to hold their patterns throughout their lives once they have established their coloration during the first year or two. Personally, I try and keep both in equal ratio.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Honestly, for me, nothing beats the paint splatter look of a Shubunkin.

Not to mention their calm personalities.. uh, fishinalities?

Attachments

• DSCN1901 copy.png
    DSCN1901 copy.png
    146.8 KB · Views: 469
  • DSCN1902.jpg
    DSCN1902.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 507
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Awesome thanks everyone, I see the Sarassas are more red/orange and white, So I think I will go with the Shubunkin, thanks for the Pics, they are very nice looking fish :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When I watch my fish, the first thought, every time is that the Shubunkins don't "stand out" as much -- thinking in terms of predators!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I did buy a 3'' shubunkin last night and put him in the pond already and he is trying to keep up with the Two bigger goldfish and always following them lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Ahem Jason how long have you been keeping fish now young man ?
Why isnt this shubunkin doing a months Quarentine before going in with the two bigger goldfish ?
Quarentine has to be the first most important thing in keeping any fish be they koi or goldfish there is an awful virus in koi called the Koi Herpes Virus which has an 80% kill rate and as such is a notifiable problem the Government of both mine and your country needs to know about via the fisheries and farming departments.
In the goldfish world if you thought they had got away with such an aweful virus think again its called GHV or Goldfish Herpes Virus though less virulent than KHV it still has a kill rate of about 50%
The survivors of both Viruses will carry it so any fish put in with them will catch it, and die, so you either destroy the survivors or keep them seperate from any other fish, meaning you would need two sets of nets, two ponds, two filters etc etc .
Worst case senario I know but its one of the reasons we QT our fish.
A parasite on your newbe fish (one of many different ones) means the other two get it and will need treating so you can see why its such important a thing to do.
You cant stint on it and if you do it's a little like playing Russian Roulette, you can only pull the trigger a set number of times before you blow your brains out.
Well its the very same with any fish you buy.
QT means QT not straight in the pond with other fish that are parasite and disease free my young friend
"Lesson Learned".????

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Honestly, for me, nothing beats the paint splatter look of a Shubunkin.

Not to mention their calm personalities.. uh, fishinalities?
Nice fish JB tell me do you try to manipulate their coours because you havereally vibrant colours

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Lesson learned! I will have to pick up a 10 gallon tank setup for that purpose in the future, but Hopefully I wont have any more fish then what I already do until I move to a big boy pond! Although I expect some to die because it you don't think it will happen is when it usually does lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Good for you Jason 20 years or so down the line you too will be passing on years of experiance you are young but you will learn "Grass hopper".
Only people of my age brackett will probably remember that saying aand will get the joke there Jason but its to do with a young kung Fu priest on the run from the Royal Guard after he killed the man who killed his kung fu master, who went forth into the wild west to find and protect his Princess thus to clear his name.
The saying his master said in happier times to the hero was "ah Grass Hopper you are young but you will learn".....

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question