Sarassa Or Shubunkin

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
how do you tell the difference between the two?
they look very similar, does it have to do with coloration?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sarassa

p80333SarasaComet.jpg

"The Sarasa Comet is a graceful alternative to standard pond fish. It has a brilliant red body contrasted with soft white patches and a single-tail. Though it may resemble ornamental carp, the Sarasa Comet lacks the barbels in the mouth area, the markings at the base of the scales, and the size. The Sarasa Comet adds unique beauty to any large backyard water garden oasis"

shubunkin
upload_2017-6-29_21-14-39.jpeg

"Similar in body shape to the comet goldfish, shubunkins are characterized by their nacreous scales and calico coloring , which contains shades of red, gold, purple, blue, black and white. Shubunkins with more blue coloration are considered to be more valuable."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
can they both have long flowy tails? I appear to have one of each but their tails are much longer
however the four largest fish I have (between 8-12 inches) appear to be the Sarasa but two are all off-white
solid colors are also Sarasas?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine have long flowing tails. Take some pictures of them if you can.
I have some shubunkins that are white base with colors sort of under the scales.

See the white one in the picture? That is a shubunkin I am trying to recall what they were called lol

IMG_1414.jpg
IMG_1124.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have some shubunkins that are white base with colors sort of under the scales.

See the white one in the picture? That is a shubunkin I am trying to recall what they were called lol

View attachment 101551 View attachment 101553
wow they are beautiful
I'll snap some pictures when I get home
for now I'm thinking of the 10 fish I rescued I have the following:
- (1) long tail Sarasa
- (1) long tail Shunbunkin
- (4) short tail Sarasa
- (1) black moor
- (1) oranda
- (1) fantail or ryukin
- (1) lionhead or pearlscale

I've decide to stick with GF in the pond, how many GF could a 2000G pond handle.
Not planning to add this year, but good to know in the future.
next year will add plants and hopefully a few more fish

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't forget they have babies...............lots of babies! I started with around 20, have not added any since. I do have a lot of water room.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sex talk with the fish the teens no clue ;) .Rather just make sure do not feed them much during breeding so they will eat the eggs or hand remove the eggs or hope you have all males or all females

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
can they both have long flowy tails? I appear to have one of each but their tails are much longer
however the four largest fish I have (between 8-12 inches) appear to be the Sarasa but two are all off-white
solid colors are also Sarasas?
sarasa are white with orange or red patches , there body is smooth which has snowwhite walvet affect .
shubuken which can have different colours including black and random stripes or spots , shubunken's scales are more pearly glossy then of sarasa yes both can have either short or long tails , this question comes to my mind to what is all white one , altho it looks like its of sarasa type and some have less scales , i wud say they are defective sarasa with no red markings.

View attachment 101551 View attachment 101553

some are pinkish some are with grey blue black i think they are not well recognized called moon light shadow something

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Here are two of my larger Sarasa comets
how big will they get?
View attachment 101589
very nice , how long are they atm? not all grow to its full length as it depends on genes and environment but usually 8 inch max, ihv seen 14 inch shubunken too . never seen very large sarasa i think sarasa are smaller then shubunken most of my sarasa has stooped growing at 5/6 inch , few shubunken passed 8/9 inch .
the ones in pic may turn white as they grow older , there colour pigments look weak to me . may have one mart on head lets see

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
some are pinkish some are with grey blue black i think they are not well recognized called moon light shadow something
Just remembered what they are call, Sunrise Shubunkins.

"Sunrise Shubunkins have transparent scales which allows their pink gills to show through, as well as a light blue body. Most also have solid black eyes."

Ask a Question