Sarassas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
(Did I spell that right?)

I am thrilled to report that all six fish are finally out and about in the pond! The pond has been running since February. I kept adding small fish in pairs, but till now, they hid in their cave. Although they aren't super adventuresome yet, they are OUT! Hooray!

In a week, I'm going to our pond store to get a couple more. That will give me 8. The first 4 fish are 1 1/2" long feeder fish. 17 cents each. White and orange combos. The last two are 4 to 6 inches long and from the pond store. They have long bodies and short tails. (Comets?)

I was looking at some gorgeous fantail sarassas. To me, they look a lot like koi, with their graceful, long tails. They are 6 to 8 inches long.

The six fish I have get along well and swim together. Should the sarassas fit in well?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Comets are ones with tails nearly as long as their bodies. Single tailed.

And this thread is worthless without pictures.

o_O

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The Comet Goldfish is also called the Comet-tail Goldfish or Pond Comet. This fish was the first variety of single-tail goldfish to be developed with a long caudal (tail) fin. The Sarassa is another type of comet. They have long flowing fins and are characterized by a red-and-white coloration that holds a resemblance to a koi.

So, all your fish will be fine in the same pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
The Comet Goldfish is also called the Comet-tail Goldfish or Pond Comet. This fish was the first variety of single-tail goldfish to be developed with a long caudal (tail) fin. The Sarassa is another type of comet. They have long flowing fins and are characterized by a red-and-white coloration that holds a resemblance to a koi.

So, all your fish will be fine in the same pond.
Thanks!!!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Comets are ones with tails nearly as long as their bodies. Single tailed.

And this thread is worthless without pictures.

o_O
For now, I could only send a picture of orangey shadows in dark water. They are still shy of the paparazzi. If they ever come up close enough to the surface, I will snap a picture!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
excited bagsmom :D , fishes must b enjoying the cave and all that u did for them . i think as days get warmer they will b more active and on surface
what u mean by fantail ? sarassa are exactly same as shubunken just there colour is white and red/orange , nothing to do with long and short tails as i have observed any one can have any length of tail , it depends on genes , i have seen subunken , sarasa and common all with short tail aswell as long , as moon said they are all commet in reality just some differences , shubunkens have pearly scales . my fav is sarasa too , i have few of each type , i think this spring i had few fry of sarassa , they are very different from start exactly like there parents , the text book sarassa shud b very white snowy with tomato red patches but its single tailed same like commet , i have few sarassa with black too , i wonder what wud they b called lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
@Usman Well, I went to our pond store -- very fun place! Fish were in quarantine after arrival at the store, so I have to wait to get them. I pointed out the ones I really liked. There were sarassas and shubunkins. I pointed out some white and red-orange fellas (or gals) that had long, flowing, lovely tails. The store owner told me they were sarassas. So maybe other fish have long tails as well, but the ones I pointed out happened to be sarassas.
I love the coloration, and love the pretty tails!
I was outside working today and they were all out. Still down low, but they didn't hide in the cave. I'm so glad!

I wonder at what age/size the fish can reproduce. Am I correct in thinking the small ones (sold as feeders) are probably younger fish? Are they sexually mature at that age? Interestingly, at the pond store, there were some coppery brown fish about 4 to 5 inches long. The pond folks said they were juveniles and would possibly turn color, but might not. The teeny 1 1/2" feeder fish are orange and white already. I'm guessing they will grow? Or not?

@tbendl - I am stopping after these two additional medium sized fish. So I'll have 4 tinies and 4 medium. I feel like I need that many to make enough fish waste to feed the plants. I suspect that at some point, Mother Nature will send a few off with a heron or raccoon. OR -- if we are lucky enough, maybe I'll have to build another pond!!!!!! LOL! (My husband's gracious attitude would really be tested with that!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
@Usman Well, I went to our pond store -- very fun place! Fish were in quarantine after arrival at the store, so I have to wait to get them. I pointed out the ones I really liked. There were sarassas and shubunkins. I pointed out some white and red-orange fellas (or gals) that had long, flowing, lovely tails. The store owner told me they were sarassas. So maybe other fish have long tails as well, but the ones I pointed out happened to be sarassas.
I love the coloration, and love the pretty tails!
I was outside working today and they were all out. Still down low, but they didn't hide in the cave. I'm so glad!

I wonder at what age/size the fish can reproduce. Am I correct in thinking the small ones (sold as feeders) are probably younger fish? Are they sexually mature at that age? Interestingly, at the pond store, there were some coppery brown fish about 4 to 5 inches long. The pond folks said they were juveniles and would possibly turn color, but might not. The teeny 1 1/2" feeder fish are orange and white already. I'm guessing they will grow? Or not?

@tbendl - I am stopping after these two additional medium sized fish. So I'll have 4 tinies and 4 medium. I feel like I need that many to make enough fish waste to feed the plants. I suspect that at some point, Mother Nature will send a few off with a heron or raccoon. OR -- if we are lucky enough, maybe I'll have to build another pond!!!!!! LOL! (My husband's gracious attitude would really be tested with that!)

yes its like going to candy shop for kids , fish shop for us lol wherever i see any i stop by spend some time .

i dono about feeder fish but about commet i think they spawn after year or when its 6 inch (with tail) , suppose if its 4 months old at shop, then after 6 or 9 months it can spawn but depends on a fish if its feeling comfortable and all the environment is suitable .

yes its very interesting how they develop , u never know , i had some blackish grey brown ones , some of them turned orange and one i have its still olive dark grey after 2 years

yes the feeder fishes are usually common goldfish which has shorter tail and more like a carp and they do grow , those are babies

yes red white are sarasas , some times its orange spots that becomes more red lateron , well i was confused when u said fantail , it means tail which has 3 or 4 fins ie bifercated from centre and divided into 2 or triangle shaped like of fancy gf , in comet groups it has only 2 fins

this is fantail
images

this is sarasa single tail , u can see only 2 fins in the tail
images

btw males will have longer flowy fins and slimer , females will b more chubby beefy body and less finy

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I guess instead of saying fantail, I should have said long and flowy! Flongy? :)
The sarassas at the fish candy store (LOL) had very long tails. So maybe the ones I was drawn to were the fellas! I can't wait to go back and get them!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The shubbies I picked up a few years back all have great fins, long and flowing. Found a fish hatchery near us, they bred for the long fins.

I have not been back, don't want to add more fish! and I have no resistance

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucaryan

Latest Threads