JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
As you likely know, bees are disappearing. One of the ways you can help them are by planting certain types of plants. I personally like bees, I don't mind them at all. Its really wasps that I hate. I saw this graphic going around and thought I'd share with you guys if you're interested in helping the bees. It shows which plants benefit them. I personally have two Lavender plants by my pond and they smell fantastic. I noticed quite a few bees by them last year.

1924853_10152087736498425_55667812_n.png

Keep in mind that Monarch Butterflies are also disappearing, so you might want to plant flowers that benefit them as well. Unfortunately I don't have a list, but types of milkweed are a big help.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In my beginning bee adventure, I have been researching nectar friendly flowers. Some do pollen, some do nectar. I bought wildflower seeds that I put out last fall, they are nectar friendly flowers, now need to electric fence them from the deer that have decided they love to snack here. We had the perfect winter to get them going, wet and cold.
The seeds I bought are a group of flowers that will bloom from spring to fall. To give the bees food from spring to fall. We also planted a ton of golden rod, dug it up in pa,brought it down here and planted. The bees get great nectar from them in late fall. The honey is real dark strong smelling then mellows out.

I also planted a ton of butterfly and hummingbird friendly flowers, a lot of those produce nectar, but not bee friendly, they can't reach the nectar. Everything planted here was for the critters. Even did a garden of deer bird rabbit friendly flowers and grasses.

Having ponds is good for the bees too, make sure there is some way for the bees to get out of the water so they do not drown. They like slow moving water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
YES !! Thank you for posting this. I got all excited about helping saving the bees, I forgot my grammars.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a lot of those in my yard already. We are on the migration path of the monarch butterflys so trying to attract more of those as well. Found some wild milkweed that was going to seed to put in my garden to go with the butterfly plant I have now.
I started work yesterday to clean out the 16 plot English garden I put in years ago after the deer wiped out my veggie garden.

Reaction score
My Great Grandmother, God rest her soul, had about a half acre of land full of flowers surrounding a tiny pink cottage. There were several arched trellace-like enclosures with bench seating on each side of a walkway covered with trumpet vines and flowers of all kinds everywhere. You almost couldn't see the cottage for all the flowers and shrubs. She was diagnosed with cancer when whe was 82 and they gave her 6-8 months to live if she got treatment. She told them, literally, "Phooey" and said that she would rather work in her garden until she died instead of having treatment. She worked in her garden of flowers every day until she passed at age 99.

And talk about bees! Everywhere! Bees, bees, bees, bees eatin' Goober's bees. Wearin out your grinders, eatin' Goober's bees.

??? Hmmm, that don't seem quite right. I'll have to listen to that song again. Can't see why anyone would eat Goober's bees!

hee hee :)

Gordy

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
there is a great list of nectar producing flowers, in about a week or so I am putting out a ton of white Dutch clover seed, set the mower at 4 inches will keep the flowers, also a bee sweep on the Mower. can't figure out paste on phone think this is typed right lol NBA.org.nz/beneficial-plants-for-bees

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
We love bee but as a nearly year old post of mine details we loved them to the extent of severe damage to our home. When you attract bees you run a slight risk of giving them a home, your home's structure in which they can build hives, massive hives. We had an estimated 60k honey and African bees thriving within a section of our framing.

The good news is that you can support these most important insects and protect your home. When bees are present in your gardens you should regularly inspect your house for signs indicating bees have infiltrated your exterior walls. If this happen you must get professional, yes professional help to remove or destroy the hive. We went to great lengths to protect our in wall guests. But in the end we had no choice. The result was very expensive, destructive and deadly.

We remain bee lovers BUT not to the extent of allowing them to hive on or within our homes structure. If anyone needs further help with this issue please contact me.

Louis

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yep keep them out of your house, we don't tend to get africanized bees up in the cold country

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have some that attract bees................they love the Sedums when they bloom. The plants are just loaded w/ bees when they do. Thanks for reminding me..................I want to plant some sunflower seeds :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I plant sunflower seeds every year, they only place they survive is behind electric fences, the deer love them, the leaves are gone before the plant even has a chance to grow beyond a foot or two.

We had our first bee class today, here the trees give the most nectar for them. Black locust is one of the main nectar trees in the area. He was saying aster, dandelions are wonderful nectar producers. Our main nectar flow is over end of may first part of june

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Addy those big sedum plants get their blooms towards the end of Summer and the bees fight over the blossoms but there are enough for everybody I keep telling them

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was doing more research on Monarchs and it looks like Milkweed is the best way to go. Its what they rely on. Apparently there are 110 species of milkweed in the US alone. I bought a pack of "Butterfly Flower" last fall. Its a type of Milkweed with orange flowers that I plan to plant in my wildflower garden. Hopefully they grow. I have zero experience with planting seeds.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I know the butterflies sure love my Butterfly Bush but in some places I think that is an invasive species.

Ask a Question